door hinge shim

-
no shims should be needed the door and the hinge have adjustments

That's what I was going to say. If you need to move the door back, you loosen the hinge bolts that go into the body.

Body side hinge bolts: Up, down, front, back, tilt
Door side hinge bolts: Up, down, in, out, rotation

There's not enough adjustment to tighten the gap at the door and quarter panel

I can honestly say I have never run into that. usually you can push it back enough that there is no gap. this may be a stupid question but you do have all 3 bolts loose correct? two from the outside one from the inside.

If you need the gap tighter and you are out of adjustment...get out the welder and add a strip to the back of the door. I've also seen where someone cut open the quarter and moved it a little closer to the door...then welded up the cut line.

Oh yeah the doors and hinges were both off for body work now I am trying to get them where I want them the drivers door has more gap than I want. By the way this is a 68 Barracuda

Do you have the fenders on? Shimming that door back could make your 1/4 to door gap acceptable to you, but open a big gap between the fender and door.

If you want 1/8" to 3/16" gaps, all the way around on one of these old Mopars, you need to get out a grinder and a welder.

Welding the appropriate welding rod right along the door edge is how it's done, then grind where needed.

You also need to allow for film build. A common mistake is to make all of those perfect gaps, only to narrow them more with primer, base and clear.

That's how people rip the paint edge off the door.

This can be solved by simply running a DA down the door edges before paint.

-
Back