drew a blank - keys please?????

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
I would like to get a key cut to fit the door lock on my '63 Valiant.
I looked on Epay and there's blanks for every Valiant (it seems) but not '63.

Sure would be grateful if someone could point me to '63 Valiant key blanks, please?????

Thanks if you can help.

Gary,
Do you have a pic of the key blank you need??? There is a small lock shop near me and he said he had some early mopar blanks. I think he is kinda spendy. Is it the same as 64 dart??

Moe

I had spare keys for my 'Cuda cut at the local Lowes store. The kid behind the counter looked at me funny and says "how old is this key?!" "about 45 years old or so" :p He searched, but found no blanks in the older chrysler style. So i had him cut me a Door/Ignition Key from a newer Chrysler blank (single sided style with the big head on the end, the kind they used in the 80's Cars & Vans)

"I dunno if this will work, man...it doesn't look like your old key" :p I wasn't worried about the fact that it wasn't a "pentastar" shaped key, since the ignition is in the dash. Sure enough it works perfectly.

Then i stopped by a local hardware store, to get a spare key cut for my '48 Dodge Truck, and it turns out they have the older "pentastar" Chrysler keys in stock. So i got them to cut me some spares for my '74 Duster (which i was driving that day) while i was there. The key for my '48 was a little more difficult, they had to use a weird Ford Blank and it took 4 different tries/blanks before they could get one cut close to it (and then i spent an hour at home fine-tuning the shape of the key with files, sandpaper and so forth)

I had spare keys for my 'Cuda cut at the local Lowes store. The kid behind the counter looked at me funny and says "how old is this key?!" "about 45 years old or so" :p He searched, but found no blanks in the older chrysler style. So i had him cut me a Door/Ignition Key from a newer Chrysler blank (single sided style with the big head on the end, the kind they used in the 80's Cars & Vans)

"I dunno if this will work, man...it doesn't look like your old key" :p I wasn't worried about the fact that it wasn't a "pentastar" shaped key, since the ignition is in the dash. Sure enough it works perfectly.

Then i stopped by a local hardware store, to get a spare key cut for my '48 Dodge Truck, and it turns out they have the older "pentastar" Chrysler keys in stock. So i got them to cut me some spares for my '74 Duster (which i was driving that day) while i was there. The key for my '48 was a little more difficult, they had to use a weird Ford Blank and it took 4 different tries/blanks before they could get one cut close to it (and then i spent an hour at home fine-tuning the shape of the key with files, sandpaper and so forth)

There are some other blanks that will work on the OPs car but they are sloppy (loose) fitting when inserted in the lock. I would worry about excessive wear on the lock cylinder.

I found that the box stores and even ACE did not have them.
One of them sent me to a locksmith. They had plenty.

have any of you guys found any blanks out there for a 63 dart, I need one for my dart.

I was just perusing Ebay.au and there's a NOS set of trunk/door/ignition key blanks where the seller says suited for the RV1, S Series, AP5, 6, VC, and VE thru VG series. Might be worth a look at it.

find a locksmith that has been around for a while and odds are he will have what your looking for, that's what I did. I didn't have a key so I took the switch to him and he cut me a key for $15.00

that sounds good, but the problem is, I can't get the lock out of the trunk.... I know the trunk and door's are the same key, so maybe I'll try to get the key out of the door, and go that route, if not, I'll have to go to ebay or something..... I was able to find blanks for the ignition, so I'm good on that front. Thanks for the advice.

The key for ign and the door key are the same on my 64 dart,the trunk is different. Just had mine out for painting, if I remember right there
Is just a clip holding the trunk lock in,inside the trunk lid.

Moe

drive the car to the locksmith and he can cut you a key, my locksmith told me to bring the car to him but it easier to just take the lock to him.

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

As usual on FABO there is always plenty of help.
I think the advice from oklacarcollecto with the Ebay links will save me.
I couldn't get the links to work, but I found a couple of aftermarket sellers with blanks that are "supposed" to fit my car.

It takes a couple of weeks for the stuff to arrive Downunder from over there, but I'll do a post when I finally get them and they are (hopefully) cut and working.
Again - thanks for the replies - you blokes are champions!:cheers:

I would like to get a key cut to fit the door lock on my '63 Valiant.
I looked on Epay and there's blanks for every Valiant (it seems) but not '63.

Sure would be grateful if someone could point me to '63 Valiant key blanks, please?????

Thanks if you can help.

I got mine off feebay for a 64, are they the same?

Local locksmith orders blanks too.

I even have a local mom/pop hardware store and have found blanks there too. Sadly they are getting ready to close. Stopped in yesterday and there were quite a few mopar blanks there at $1.50 each. I'm going back soon to wipe out their inventory. I'll take my 64 keys in with me to see if I can score for ya. Should be going today or tomorrow.

John.:iconbigg:

Jesler's key in Ohio might just have factory key blanks. I believe they are in the Cleveland area, but don't quote me on that

-
Back