drip rails seam sealer

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to primer the Demon. The question I have is the stuff in the drip rails is what? I'm going to dig it out, but what do put back? Is it just 3 M fast and seal or something else? Thanks

I'm getting ready to primer the Demon. The question I have is the stuff in the drip rails is what? I'm going to dig it out, but what do put back? Is it just 3 M fast and seal or something else? Thanks

Fast-n-Firm is garbage imo! It will shrink and crack in no time. This is from personal experience. Be sure to prime the rails first with a good epoxy primer then try and find some 2 part KENT seam sealer in the orange double tube and tan in color, or IES 2 part self-level seam sealer. I prefer Kent but it is pricey.

I suggest Fusor #129. I tried two different 3M self leveling seam sealers before that.

I have more info and pics a little more than half way down this page:
http://70duster440.com/bodypaint.html

It's a lot of work to remove the old stuff, believe me. If your old sealer is in decent shape or just needs some "touch up" you could use the thinner 3M stuff.

THANKS, It's cracked and pulling away from the edges. I was going to use fast and firm in other places. Like the seam between the firewall and the fenders. It sounds like I should stay away from it.

70Duster thanks, I will look into Fusor #129

No problem. If it's cracked and pulling away then you may be able to fix it using the thinner self leveling seam sealer (to fill the voids). They're all two part materials though and require a special application gun.

The Fast and Firm is one part that you can use with a regular caulk gun. It would probably be fine for doing repairs on your exisiting caulk. But Cuudak is right, for thick/heavy applications it will shrink and crack.

On other seams where cosmetics aren't as important (cowl areas, floor) you might consider the brushable seam sealers that come in a quart can. I've had good luck with them. You can lay down masking tape on either side of the seam, brush it on, tool it if you need to for looks, then pull the masking tape for nice clean edges.

-
Back