Drum to disc swap

-

NiceFishEh

Reaction score
Have a 69 Barracuda, was a 318 car...now 340.

In lieu of the usual swap thats posted everywhere, (change UCA's and spindles from 73 to 76 A body), I'm considering a kit like Wilwood or SSBC so I don't have the hassle of replacing my rally wheels, new TA's, on my 4" bolt patern.

Finding decent used parts are scarce and expensive.

I think I would prefer the newer technologyand not give up my SB pattern A body :scratch: SG as well.

With this newer stuff, the UCA's and spindles won't need to be replaced, however, they must be from a 10" drum arrangement, so the new bearings and rotors will fit.

The existing drums do measure 10" inside.

Question: If the car was built with 9" spindles and drums originally, would it be possible for someone to upgrade to 10" drums and bearings without changing spindles?

It's really important to know if these spindles are from a 10" drum arragement since the aftermarket components won't fit 9".

I've got Wilwood brakes on all four corners of my car, but I had already converted my car to the 73-76 disc set up before. Go for the heavy duty vented rotor kit on a street car. I can't offer much more advise than that though. I would think if your car had 10" brakes on it then that would be the set up you'd need to get.

But look it over first, do the backing plates appear to be modified? Were the drums redrilled? If not I'd say it's a safe bet you got the right set up.

Hey Adam:

Bowtie parts on a Mopar???

Isn't that like kissing your sister??? :pukel:

All kidding aside, if the engineering is ok and the price is right, it would be worth considering.

The scarebird site is down right now.... but I will look into it and let you all know how I make out.

I'm happy to see that I'm not alone on this. When these cars become money pits, (changing suspension,wheels, tires,etc.), the hobby loses its appeal.

I wanna drive this #$%*& thing... not see it on axle stands forever.

Thanks guys :cheers: and Merry Christmas

My sisiter a pretty girl but Id rather run the chevy parts thank you.

I like the availablity of the parts it uses aswell as the price. Rotors are $20ea so are the calipers. You can put this entire kit together for around $200.

The rear kit is more. It uses 79 Trans Am rear calipers wich are over $100 ea. loaded.

Adam:

I contacted Mark at Scarebird.com and found him to be quite knowledgable and willing to accomodate.

The only part he supplies is the bracket that replaces the old backing plate which also supports the caliper. The rest you get from jobbers.

I don't want to lose my 14" '72 style small bolt rallies, which is my reason not doing the 73-76 swap.

I'm just not sure if this set up will fit inside my rallies.

Mark said that it will if they are disc rallies.

How do I tell the diff between disc and drum rallies???????????

If I can resolve this question... I think I'll try the set up.

The link you provided in this thread is down right now. I think it was Vegaman, or something like that, that used this set up on his Dart. He could be a lot of help if I could find him again.

As for the die hard Mopar freaks who insist on keeping their rides genuine... I respect that. But, who's to say that people like SSBC or Wilwood didn't develop their products based on S10 parts because of cost and availability? Do we really know for sure? How about rodders who use Mustang clips and Jag rears on their rides? I think you reach a point where you do what you have to do...

Didn't mean to ramble...but I think I just talked myself into following thru with this set up.

Thanks, and again, I apologize for the epistle.

I've talked with Mark too and he seems to be a stand up guy. You should know that his setup is for 9" drums/spindles. I've sent him a set of 10" drums and spindles in small bolt pattern to develop a kit with. From his other work I doubt that it will take him long to get it done.

I agree with many of the opinions on chevy parts on the mopars but, consider this. If it makes one of my cars safer and saves me some coin, than I feel obligated to try it.

I plan on doing this with my 68 Convertible just as soon as Mark finishes up with the brackets. After that we'll look at doing the other two. :cheers:

If your car has 10" drums then the spindles have to be correct for the 10" drum kit. I have seen both the 9" and 10" and they are not even close to each other. There is a significant difference in the bolt hole locations between the two holes at the top that hold the drum assembly to the spindle. Having seen the SSBC kit and the article on the Wildwood kit, I would go with the Wildwood kit.

-
Back