Drum to disc

-

1DARTGT

Reaction score
I just got a set of sbp four piston disc brakes for my 67 dart. I have the spindles, rotors, calipers, lower ball joints and prop. Valve. My car currently has manual four wheel drum brakes.

What else do i need to complete the swap? Will my drum brake master cylinder work w/ the disc brakes? Do i need to change the upper or lower control arms?

The additional items you will need are a dual resoivoir master cylinder, new lines for a disc brake application, and you didn't mention whether or not you have the dust shields and caliper mounts, but if you don't you need at least the mounts. The upper and lower control arms are the same but the lower ball joint is different, but I see that you have those. I used a master cylinder correct in application for a 69 Dart, my car is a 66 Cuda with manual brakes and my donor car was a 67 Cuda. I also ordered the lines that are a correct application for a 67 Cuda. I also ordered a new front to rear line as the distribution valve was mounted in a different location. You will also need new hoses for a disc brake car. I think thats about it, all told about another $100.00 in lines and MC and you should be all set. How bout pads??? You will want to use a new set of those also!!! Good luck with the swap, Geof

Thanks, what a relief i thought i was gonna have to change the control arms. Yes, i do have the caliper mounts and dust shields. The whole spindle w/ brakes and lower ball joint is all assembled together. Going to order pads from local parts house and have calipers rebuilt.

My car also has a dual reservoir master but for non power drum brakes. Can i use it? Or do i need a different master cylinder?

Thanks for your help!

I'm just not sure about the MC, but here is a picture of the master I am using. Unlike the later MC's, this one has 2 equal sized resoivoirs. If it looks to be the same as yours, I would say go ahead and use yours, but again I can't say for sure. There may be a bore size difference that I'm not aware of!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_1121.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 220
Drum brake MC's have a residual pressure valve in the outlets of the ports. I believe you can remove them (in your case, the port for the front brakes). IIRC it will cause front discs to drag. Also, disc brake MC's have added fluid capacity for the front brakes. If I were you, I would order a new or rebuilt MC from a parts store for a 73-76 Dart with power discs. (probably around $35) It's pretty important to have good brakes and a new MC will be one less thing to worry about. You can use your manual brake pushrod and run the new MC without a booster. An easy way to remove the pushrod from the old MC is to look at the brake pedal arm and see what is in the way of pulling it back (like the brake switch) towards the steering wheel. Use your hand to pull the pedal back and the pushrod will pop out of the grommet that is inside the piston bore. Then remove the old MC and the special bolt that connects the rod to the brake pedal. Otherwise, it can be really hard to separate the rod from the piston.

The bore is 15/16" diameter and you will love the feel. No reason to have power brakes on an a-body unless you have some physical limitation in your braking leg. Power brakes do not shorten stopping distances.

-
Back