Duster Hood Options

-

www.Oleballnchain.com

1972 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
Hello, just joined the site so please forgive me if I ask a question that has already been asked. I own a 1972 Plymouth Duster with a small block and was considering getting it painted back to its original EV2 Hemi Orange. I was wondering if there is anywhere that I can research all of the hood options for this year? There seems to be a myriad of options including the 340 wedge callout, simple flat black hood, twin snorkle hood body color, twin snorkle hood flat black, twin snorkle hood flat black strobe, twin snorkel hood body color strobe, etc etc. It makes my head spin, and I would really like to make sure I choose a correct for 72 hood treatment. My personal preference I think is a body color hood, but I have no idea if this should have body color or black scoops or strobe decal etc etc. I have a number of books but none of them seem to have a lot of detail on available hood options. Any suggestions for the right place to investigate would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian.

You can scratch off the twin snorkle scoop options because Dusters never came with them from the factory. '72 Demon, '73 and possibly '74 Dart Sports were the only Mopars that had that option. There is a loooooong thread outlining and debating that on this forum. But there is no documentation or factory photos showing this, even though it's a common aftermarket add-on and looks like it belongs there.

This is a Plymouth ad from 1971, but I don't know what all carried over to 1972. I saw an article that said the grille didn't carry over to the Twister option in '72'.

....and welcome to forabodiesonly.com!

1971_Plymouth_Duster_ad.jpg

Thanks to both, I actually have seen that add before its reprinted in a couple of books I have. My Duster isnt a Twister, it's a 340. The problem I have with that add, however, is its a 1971 model and I don't know if those treatments carried over to 1972. I don't mind the strobe and scoop version, not a fan of the call out version. I may dig around for the thread on the scoops, personally I am not a huge fan of non functional scoops on a car but they are very common on the Duster and they seem a bit more attractive than the call out, IMO. And by the way, thanks for the welcome I am glad to be a part of the community!

Welcome to Fabo ! 72 dusters, were not offered with the hood call-out ( only a 71' option V-24, and they are my personal favoriet ) The hood scoops were never a 340 duster option on any year. Only the duster/twister had hood scoops and twisters are not 340 cars. You coud do what I did, as I have two hood painted up for my car. I have one hood painted the correct organsol black with the call out, ( my car is a 71 V-24 car) and a second hood which I molded a six pack scoop on to, and also painted organsol black, with call-out. I just switch them on and off as I want to. To answer your main question, the 72 340 dusters were only offered with plane, body colored hoods...no flat black paint scheems like the 71's, and no scoops. So many dusters have had scoops added to them over the years, that most tend to belive there original, but they are not.

Attachments

• Picture 009 (Medium) (4).jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 1,774
with scoop

Attachments

• my duster and trophey 002 (Medium).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 7,184
fanofpetty,

Extremely helpful, thank you that's what I was looking for. Full disclosure, my Duster is not a real 340 car; it started life as a slant six and now has a V-8 with proper k-member. The engine is actually a 360, I was being a bit lazy in calling the car a 340 because my intention is to fully dress it as a 1972 340 clone (kind of a bad word these days isn't it). There is no intent on my part to deceive anyone into thinking its a legit 340, that is just the trim package I prefer for the 72 since a V8 72 would have either been the 318 twister or the 340. It's good to know the correct path for the 72 pseudo 340 would be a body colored hood without scoops, I'm fine with that. What about hood pins? Would that have been a factory / dealer option for any year, let alone the 72? If I go correct on the hood I would still consider either hood pins and Dixco hood tach, which its my understanding these were dealer option only in black. I found a GM site that carries the Dixco tach and another that offers the correct mopar faceplate. Just a thought, would appreciate any opinions from the forum on that.

Thanks! well the hood pins are a factory option, but I'm not positive they were available on 72's ( maybe someone else will jump in here and confirm one way or the other) but I'm thinking they were still available in 72. As far as the dixco hood tach, that was an over the counter peice that was available through the " Hustle stuff" catalouge, which later became direct connection, and then mopar performance. They are a really cool addition, and seldom seen on mopars.

From the 1970 Hamtramk Registry Library.Listed as for 1972 Duster.Very cool website.

Attachments

• 1972_page_47.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,734
  • 1972_page_56.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,536
You could get the dual snorkel dealer installed. And probably the two side scoops as well as the Hood Treatment
My 73 340 Duster has a Dealer installed Dual Snorkel Scoop

ya, I'm sure any dealer back then would install about anything for extra cost.....LOL!

I stumbled upon the hamtramck registry shortly after posting and I agree it is an excellent site. This has been very helpful, I'll keep an open mind with planning for the work, may not happen right away. If I could figure out how to post pics I would show the Duster as it exists today, pre-shark tooth grill. I tried photbucket but had no luck with that. I'll need to figure out what is most commonly used on this board, but I thank all of you guys for the good comments.

Available hood treatment for 72 would be ladder stripe only. 340 car. Not talking about Twisters...

I see from the Hamtramck Registry that a 340 car, non twister, could get a black hood. I assumed this meant also with the angled 340 callout, but you say ladder stripe. Is the ladder stripe, as you have called it, the same as what others have called the strobe stripe? Too bad about hood pins, I always thought they looked cool and might still do them should I be able to get the car painted this year. Doesn't really matter since it is not a real 340 car anyway, just wanted to be as correct as possible for a 72.

You are referring to option code V21, Performance Hood Treatment...yes it was an option in 72 on 340 cars...the car pictured below is an original 45,000 Survivor I owned a few years back....

1972FY1DusterYorkPApic_zpsb32b677f.jpg

Mine has the V21 hood treatment also. I put on the scoops because I liked the look. But only Twisters came with scoops.

Attachments

• Duster hood.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,539
One more thing the bezels in front of the scoops should be black not chrome like the Twisters and Dart Swingers if the hood is black. The Bezels are chrome if the hood is body color as the the scoops should be body color.

I see from the Hamtramck Registry that a 340 car, non twister, could get a black hood. I assumed this meant also with the angled 340 callout, but you say ladder stripe. Is the ladder stripe, as you have called it, the same as what others have called the strobe stripe? Too bad about hood pins, I always thought they looked cool and might still do them should I be able to get the car painted this year. Doesn't really matter since it is not a real 340 car anyway, just wanted to be as correct as possible for a 72.
just to clairifiy, ( and I actually forgot 72's could have the V-21 option) The 72's V-21 option is a different black paint scheem than the (71' only) V-24 w/ 340 callout. The V-24 (71's) black paint extends on to the fender tops, and top of the doors, and quarters. The V-21 option ( 72's) have a large portion of the the hood and cowl painted black, and included the ladder stripe, basicly a twister paint scheem without the scoops, like the yellow duster pictured above.

You are referring to option code V21, Performance Hood Treatment...yes it was an option in 72 on 340 cars...the car pictured below is an original 45,000 Survivor I owned a few years back....

1972FY1DusterYorkPApic_zpsb32b677f.jpg

Trying to find a picture of my original 72 like yours, only with a black vinyl roof. I am curious though, that hood looks like gloss black. Just the photo?

Bought mine new, and it's been gone a long time.

Sometime I need to pull out the old pics and scan some more. This is the best I could do. My hood had the organsol treatment with the strobe stripe in the middle. First time I waxed the car, I waxed the organsol and what a mess. Got all milky, chalky looking. Can't remember how I cleaned it off. :wack:I think the car was less than a year old in this photo.

View attachment PICT0205.JPG

-
Back