Duster rear stance uneven

-

twister360

Reaction score
Installed new 5 leaf rear springs and new KYB shocks on all 4 corners. Adjusted torsion bars per the manual and the right rear sits 1" higher. I did this 3 weeks ago so I figured the suspension would have settled in but rear still uneven. I measured the front from the floor to bottom of wheel lip ( tape centered in the middle of the hub cap ) and both fronts measured 25 1/4". Left rear was 25 3/4" and right was 26 3/4". 235R70X15 all around and 28# in tires and on flat surface, 1/2 tank of gas and spare in trunk. Is this normal? Any way to balance car on all 4 corners?

Thanks. Gary

Did you use Mopar Super Stock Springs? If so, the stance is normal.

I would check the leaf springs, shocks and brackets. Are they the same in length, thickness, etc. if the car was level prior to the change out, then I would say it has to be a difference in the new parts or installed differently from before. Good luck.

One more thing. Suspension bolts should not be tightened until the vehicle weight is on the wheels. If the leaf spring eye bolts for example are tightened while the rear axle is hanging free, the ride height will be affected.

One more thing. Suspension bolts should not be tightened until the vehicle weight is on the wheels. If the leaf spring eye bolts for example are tightened while the rear axle is hanging free, the ride height will be affected.

To your first reply: These are suppose to be as originals. I pulled off 002/003 springs because I did not like the harsh ride.

As I remember, I changed the right side last and not sure if car was on ground when I torqued it up. Could I just loosen the big bolts toward the front and same for the u bolts and then torque everything back up with car on the floor?

Thanks. Gary

Yes, but you need to loosen all bolts connected to the leaf springs. Including the rear shackles, u bolts and front spring eye. Don't forget that the u bolts only torque to 45 LB FT. Make all your final torque with the weight on the suspension.

Is it a 340 car? You still.never mentioned what springs you have. Maybe they are supposed to be an inch higher on the right side. I would assume that the one spring has an inch more curve in it.
RUSTY, when I did my springs I did it all with the weight off of the suspension does it make that big of a difference? I haven't noticed any squeaks or any odd stance or strange feeling while driving.

I'd relocate the battery to that corner if it was me.

Is it a 340 car? You still.never mentioned what springs you have. Maybe they are supposed to be an inch higher on the right side. I would assume that the one spring has an inch more curve in it.
RUSTY, when I did my springs I did it all with the weight off of the suspension does it make that big of a difference? I haven't noticed any squeaks or any odd stance or strange feeling while driving.

Originally 318 but now 360 Magnum and they are 5 leaf and supposed to be built as originals. Prior to installing I placed the new springs side by side and they were the same.

I suppose I can see how the suspension bushings could bind on tightening without a load on them. I didn't seem to have a problem when I did mine. Maybe, is there weight in the trunk?

My 65 Dart Convertible has the same problem! after I put super stock springs on. Did everything I could think of and finally gave up. Abandoned the project, went looking for a full gas can and a match. I even took one leaf out of the right side. No avail!!!

My 65 Dart Convertible has the same problem! after I put super stock springs on. Did everything I could think of and finally gave up. Abandoned the project, went looking for a full gas can and a match. I even took one leaf out of the right side. No avail!!!

Again, a higher right side is normal for super stock springs. (1 inch by design)
But you probably found that out already. :D

-
Back