Duster Resto. Need help!

-

StrokerMan

Reaction score
Ok so some of you might recognize my car from other posts. I'm asking for any help or opinions y'all might have before I get started on this resto. I'm going to fully restore my car and have a spotless show car. I have a 1973 Duster 340 with potentially 3,967 miles on it, (or so the story goes). I know both owners and I'm not 100% doubtful of his story. What I'm having a hard time with is what colors to go with since I'm not sure how "rare" my combo is. I really like the metalic limish green colors. (Of course.) But my car is original JA5 silver which is a beautiful color and I hear wasn't very common. So any info and opinions on how much it would hurt the "rarity?/price" of my car would help. Also any info or pics on the build/ price sheet for the list of options on my car would be wonderful. I can't find much on that. I also have a link to a website that states, "in 1973 the Duster 340 sold 15,731 copies." I'd like to know what number my duster was that year but haven't been able to find much. :prayer: :banghead:

http://www.valiant.org/duster.html

FENDER TAG:

JA5 Silver
E55 = 340-4 Barrel 69-73
D34 = TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
VS29V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
S = Special
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop

H3BH = 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL 800cfm
3 = 1973
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
146428 = Sequence Number '146428'
JA5 = Paint Code: Silver
C6X9 = Trim Grade/Style/Color
C = Charger
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
X9 = Black
000 = Upper Door Frame: Full Door Panel
915 = Date Built: 9 / 15 / 1972
145935 = Order Number: 145935
V4X = Roof Type OR Color: Black Canopy Vinyl Roof
U = Built to Specifications for USA Order
B41 = Front Disc Brakes Some Yrs. Power
C16 = Console w/ Buckets
C56 = Bucket Seats 1972 up
G36 = Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Outside Mirror
H51 = Single Air /w Heater
M21 = Roof Drip Rail Moldings
N76 = Coolant Recovery System
R11 = Music Master Radio AM
V6X = Black Longitude Sports Stripe
V8X = Transverse Stripe - Black
26 = 26 in. Radiator
EN2 = End of Codes Assembly Line 2

Body Type: V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
Price Class: S = Special
Body Type: 29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Engine: H = 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Year: 3 = 1973
Sequence Number: 146428 = 46428th Vehical Built

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0949.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1524.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1530.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 207
I had a '74 back in high school that was of similar color to yours, but her paint was so worn it was matt.

As an odd coincidence, the color and sheen was perfect in the moonlight as it seemed to glow as if designed that way. The matted paint did the same thing under street lights, especially in foggy conditions.

I can't say what value she had, as she gave her existence for me in a brutal wreck in a head-opn, with a drunk, striking me at over 110 MPH, per the investigating officer, but every time I see that pale blue color it brings back a nostalgia of my first, and short lived, six slant fix.

She was worth much more to me that the four hundred I forked over for her!!!!

Not sure on value either. I'm not sure you could wear the seat out in 3,967 miles unless you were a really nervous driver! Could it be 103,967? Looks like a good starting spot!!! Have fun!

Not sure on value either. I'm not sure you could wear the seat out in 3,967 miles unless you were a really nervous driver! Could it be 103,967? Looks like a good starting spot!!! Have fun!

That's what I was thinking. A car with less than 4000 miles should not have ANY appreciable wear on the seats, (fading? yes. splits? no.) The steering wheel should not have any shiny plastic areas from wear, the pedals should look almost new. the shifter ball should not be worn, the suspension/brake parts should be original, etc. All those plastic parts should show the as-molded texture w/o shiny spots. But it looks solid overall. I sure wouldn't push it out of my garage for dripping oil on the floor.

My opinion: If it had the original engine and drivetrain I'd do a 100% as-built resto because it is a nice starting point. The 73 340 engine was a one year only deal, cast crank, low compression, etc. If you are looking at a 100% correct resto, you'd have to find one, but it wouldn't match anyway so.... a 360 dressed out as a 340 will fool 99% of the people. A 73 will never have the same value as the earlier ones. Regardless, the car is worth more done in the factory color and that color must be rare so if it was me, I'd keep it.

Nice car but like the others I absolutely cannot see it being a 3,900 mile car. My opinion on the color would be the factory color combo I think it would be great.

Well it's sat outside all it's life so it's not going to be clean. I do have the original drivetrain, ect.. That's the problem, I have everything to restore it to 100%, but I'm unsure. I just have no paperwork and am not sure of the value.

It is your car and I would paint it a color that you like...If its done right I dont think it will change the value...In fact it may inhance it...Its called eye appeal... I also agree with the others on the mileage it looks pretty worn inside for 3900 miles.. But is still a great find...Bill:salute:

Thanks! I've been thinking and I'll probably go with a good green, while the silver is nice I kinda want to paint my 82' dodge pickup that color. Still any technical info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

-
Back