edelbrock 6077 heads

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
Can i use LA Edelbrock heads with an LA style intake on a 5.9 magnum engine? I found a new pair that are less than a set of EQ heads.

Thanks

no, the valvetrain oiling is different......magnum block must be modified if you want to use LA heads. Maybe you can make some dollars buying and selling them.....and then get some EDE Heads for the magnum engine.

Michael

So using the hollowed push rods with the edelbrock heads won't oil the valve train? I have a set of 714 heads (similar to the 302 heads) when i pulled them they were set up for both the push rod oiling and the LA style oiling. So i guess I'm wondering why the push rod oiling wouldn't work with the edelbrock heads?

Thanks

the LA rocker gets its lubrication trough the shaft from a passage in the deck of the block. This is connected to the cam bearings. It´s a pretty good system. Without pressurized shaft oiling the LA rockers will get in trouble, sooner or later.

the Magnum rockers are setup to get oil trough the pushrods, no pressurized shaft here. No passage in the block to the deck, thus no chance to put LA heads on the Mag block without machine work....the passage can be drilled, but i do not know if it´s cost effective......The other way is possible, mag heads on LA Block, no problem with the right parts.

Many aftermarket lifters are made for pushrod oiling, with hollow pushrods there will get some oil to the rockers in an LA-setup.....but i doubt that´s enough to do the job. Some guys use both systems, shaft oiling and pushrod oiling, to improve valvetrain lubrication. But as told before, i have no idea how your heads are setup to accept both oiling systems.

Michael

It has been done. You have to get creative with oil lines to the rocker shafts, either externally from the oil sender hole to the back of both heads OR internally from the lifter gallery up thru the pushrod opening to the rocker shaft.

-
Back