Electric Pump Upgrade

-

josekh7

Reaction score
Hey Guys, two part question. im building a pretty stout 440 and i will be looking into a high volume low psi elec pump (6psi-8psi).

1.First question is: whats a recommended pump i don't really care on how noisy it is

2.Second is it true that if i cancel out my mechanical pump i have to leave the push rod inside the engine for oiling reasons?

Holley Blue maybe, on the pump. I would run a regulator with whichever you choose.

2.Second is it true that if i cancel out my mechanical pump i have to leave the push rod inside the engine for oiling reasons?

Are you speaking of the mechanical pump arm?

you know that's a good question my machine shop guys said i had to leave something in, i dont beleive its the arm but it could of been. well is there anything i have to leave in?

Well, it would be helpful to know what that "something" is, lol.

As far as the fuel pump, just leave it off and use a blocking plate to cover the hole.

The 440 has a rod that pushes the pump arm, but I don't think you can take it out anyway without disassembling the front of the engine.
It may or may not have a oil pressure port in the rod bore. (don't know that)

The 440 has a rod that pushes the pump arm, but I don't think you can take it out anyway without disassembling the front of the engine.

Ahhh, so no eccentric on a BB?

Ahhh, so no eccentric on a BB?

It runs on the cam at the top end and there is a pipe plug below the pump mounting that you remove to get the rod out.

I just looked it up, but still don't see anything about there being a pressure problem if it's removed.
It cant just fall out or anything, so I'd just leave it in there.

I also saw a trick where when the rod is mushroomed from the cam wearing on it you can get it out with a set screw lock collar from the hardware store.

Attachments

• 440+Fuel+Pump+_1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 204
the block is disassembled so i wouldn't mind taking it out so there will not be any oil pressure issues correct?

just got a answer from my machinest he said if i take it out there will be an oil spill since the shaft of the rod creates a seal

just got a answer from my machinest he said if i take it out there will be an oil spill since the shaft of the rod creates a seal

Well there we go then. :)
It wont do anything without the pump in it but just sit there anyway.

your machinist is an IDOIT! you do not need that rod in there what so ever! I have built several big blocks from mild to wild, not a Damn one has had that rod in it.
my suggestion would be to Run like hell. he obviously has Never Built a Big block mopar before.

your machinist is an IDOIT! you do not need that rod in there what so ever! I have built several big blocks from mild to wild, not a Damn one has had that rod in it.
my suggestion would be to Run like hell. he obviously has Never Built a Big block mopar before.

I was wondering if that might be a Chevy thing, and he just didn't know what he was talking about when it came to a Mopar, but I couldn't find anything definite about it online anywhere.

I just left my mechanical pump on the car and just put a piece of fuel hose from the input to the output. It saved me once when the electric pump quit working on the road. I actually have a Holley blue pump on my car right now. I'm considering replacing it because it is way too noisy. What anybody else running here that's quieter?

-
Back