Ethanol blended gas (good or bad?)

-

NEWATTHIS

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a ? for you, i have been hearing alot of information about ethanol blended gas, some good some bad. I dont know how it is in the U.S but hear in Canada, some pumps are 5% some are 10 %. What do you think about this gas in these engines? (good, bad, will it cause any harm? ) I have been using shell v power gas its 91 octane and has no ethanol in it, i really dont need to run this high of octane in my mild buildt 318, but am unsure of ethanol gas in these engines. Any advise would be grateful and thanks in advance Newathis

Ethanol will eat up ANY rubber parts not rated for ethanol, such as fuel pump diaphragms, fuel lines, rubber accelerator pumps ect. There is also a LOSS in fuel economy on engines not specifically designed for ethanol.

TopHat

Ethanol will eat up ANY rubber parts not rated for ethanol, such as fuel pump diaphragms, fuel lines, rubber accelerator pumps ect. There is also a LOSS in fuel economy on engines not specifically designed for ethanol.

TopHat

:idea1: I read somewhere recently where it is recommended to add 1 ounce of diesel fuel to every gallon of ethanol blended gas in vehicles not manufactured to run on ethanol blended gasoline. They said it would help keep the rubber parts lubricated and prevent them from being eaten up. I don't know if it is legit or not but it may be worth a try.

Hi guys i have a ? for you, i have been hearing alot of information about ethanol blended gas, some good some bad. I dont know how it is in the U.S but hear in Canada, some pumps are 5% some are 10 %. What do you think about this gas in these engines? (good, bad, will it cause any harm? ) I have been using shell v power gas its 91 octane and has no ethanol in it, i really dont need to run this high of octane in my mild buildt 318, but am unsure of ethanol gas in these engines. Any advise would be grateful and thanks in advance Newathis
Im guessing your talking about the Mohawk/Husky stuff 94 OCTANE? I have been running it and seems to get rid of my pre ign(pinging) I wont sware by it cause been adjusting springs lately In the Dizzy but once Im happy will try the Esso supreme again and see what happens. D

Guessing I should have read your post more closely. I need to use the good stuff cause my engine was pinging I have 10 1/2:1 Slugs and was clicking a little. The 318 which I also ran for ever never had that problem so Im Thinking you should be ok with esso,shell or so. If your car goes thru gas like my does and you don't need the expensive stuff cool D

Ethanol blended gas sucks! It causes you to use more gas, makes the car run like sh*t, and lowers the life expectancy of your engine.

Not only that, because you use more gas, you pollute MORE! Just one more government run scam, kind of like global warming.

Always run high octane!

My freind runs strait ethanol in his 69 road runner and was having a problem with his fuel pumps going south.
He had marvil mystery oil checked-- by testing--at some company for the specific gravity of the product.
It turns out that it has everything in it to help with lubing the pump and also to help with detonation problems because of low octane.
Plus it helps with ring wear with ethanol.
I thought this was funny because i have been using this stuff since the stone age and have always liked it.
I took my 360 apart after 10,000 miles and it had no ring wear at all.
This is 10,000 hard miles.
My engine's bottom end has a little over 20,000 on it now and was built in 1994.
I always run it in all my cars and this looks like a new reason to use it.

Yeah the cans used to say add one quart of marvil mystery oil to each 20 gallons of fuel. Now they talk in oz, like 1 oz to each gallon of fuel. The cats must not like the stuff---so it has to be good, lol

Trans fluid is cheaper. marvil mystery oil claims its not as good.

With this super clean no lead-suffral, etc the gas needs something. Not sure if adding any oil can help stop detonation

I go to my local small town airport with a few 5 gallon cans and fill them up with 100 octane low lead. This adds lead to the fuel and ups the octane rating. It is about 1.10 more per gallon than premium fuel. I put in about 3 gallons for every 7 of pump gas and the 340 runs so much better, but beware, don't drive up to the airport pump with the car for it is classified as an off road fuel only. The other benefit it that is has a 5 year shelf life so it makes the perfect Stabil. I usually drain the fuel out for the winter months and put in a couple of gallons 100, run it for a few minutes and it is ready when spring rolls around. I even use it in my lawn mower and antique snomobiles!!

On a cross country trip, where I could calculate the mileage for each tank of gas, I noticed that the blended stuff gave me significantly lower mpg. Also, I owned a crappy old truck that seemed to need a new fuel filter shortly after filling up with the stuff. I avoid it like the plague if I can now.

Yeah well hang on cause last I heard was the EPA is getting ready to increase the amounts of ethanol to over 10%. Some are saying it could go to 15% maybe even 20%. Big debate in if it should be marked or not so older cars will not use it. Then again the epa-our government only cares about what most people drive, so about 15 years old is the limit.

I even use it in my lawn mower and antique snomobiles!!

I use the 110 leaded stuff, lol. But I have no lawn mower. I hire a lawn crew, pushing a lawn mower back and forth and breathing all those gas fumes week after week has to be harmful to your health, imo

Besides they get it done in 15 mins, lol

-
Back