exhaust studs

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
i have a dumb question. are the intake and exhaust manifolds held on with all studs? or is does a bolt get used next to the thermostat housing instead. mine didnt have a stud there and my factory manual just shows a hole and then studs in every other position. but i have seen people with all studs. i think i will just put a stud in there anyway, but i was just wondering.

unless you have a clearance issue, it shouldnt matter. i will have to go look, but i think mine are all studs?!.... i gotta look in the morning.

thanks. i didnt think it would matter. it just isnt really clear in the manual. i also need to heli-coil the back one because the threads are pretty nasty since its in a water jacket, and the stud was broken off.

they are all studs - or should be.
the 2 end ones (front and back) go through to water,and I have found some heads that have the odd centre ones that find water as well. if a bolt is in there and it is doing the job -leave well alone,but if you want that original look,put a stud in. do'nt forget the sealant on the end ones.

regards,Rod:-D

When I replaced my cracked exhaust manifold, I broke off the the two outside studs and had to drill them out. I retapped them to 3/8" and put in two grade 8 bolts with no issues. Walpolla is correct, make sure you put some sealant on the bolts/studs.

thanks guys. i just want to install the intake and exhaust before i drop the motor back in the car. seems like it will be alot easier with it on a stand rather than leaning under the hood and trying to do it.

-
Back