Fender Mounted Turn Signal Indicator Problems

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
On My '74 Dart,I've been working for a couple of hours and Got A bunch more lights working now. I am just a bit confused on the Chrome Fender Mounted indicators. Being there's only One wire to it, is the Screw the ground?? The right side works but left does not. I can make it work by "forcing" ground to the exposed Copper on the under sides of the black rubber gasket. Is there supposed to be a metal contact under the Gasket?

As always, Thanks for any help,
Gerry

A copper contact on the bottom of the chrome fixture that needs to be clean and come in direct contact with the fender steel.
I consdidered just soldering a ground wire to it, but just cleaned the surfaces and it worked fine.

On My '74 Dart,I've been working for a couple of hours and Got A bunch more lights working now. I am just a bit confused on the Chrome Fender Mounted indicators. Being there's only One wire to it, is the Screw the ground?? The right side works but left does not. I can make it work by "forcing" ground to the exposed Copper on the under sides of the black rubber gasket. Is there supposed to be a metal contact under the Gasket?

As always, Thanks for any help,
Gerry

A copper contact on the bottom of the chrome fixture that needs to be clean and come in direct contact with the fender steel.
I consdidered just soldering a ground wire to it, but just cleaned the surfaces and it worked fine.
I thought so. Mine has no exposed metal and is painted Sublime green all except the screw hole. I can see the marks where the contacts touched the paint bit I'm reluctant to scrape the paint away.

Well it works fine until I screw the chrome cap back on. I believe the pressure from screwing the chrome cap on is exposing a break in the ground to ground terminal of the bulb socket.

Woo Hoo! Finally got every light working. A tiny bead of Solder in the right spot and that fixed both the Fender indicator and the left brake light. Finally took my first street legal drive to the local Sonic's Cruise-in.

Nice enginuity.

Woo Hoo! Finally got every light working. A tiny bead of Solder in the right spot and that fixed both the Fender indicator and the left brake light. Finally took my first street legal drive to the local Sonic's Cruise-in.

Nice enginuity.
Now when you get bored or brave you can do a nice mod to your rear lights if you want.
I traded my backup lenses out for two more tail/brake lenses and wired the existing backup lights to the turn/brake lights.
With headlights on the two original tail lights are lit.
If I use a left or right signal, both lights on either side flash and when brakes are applied, all four lights come on.
There is a bulb that /6 Dan suggested for the backup sockets that match the brightness of the brakelights and turn signals.
I think it was a 1096 single contact bulb, and I can look if you need to know for sure.

Nice enginuity.
Now when you get bored or brave you can do a nice mod to your rear lights if you want.
I traded my backup lenses out for two more tail/brake lenses and wired the existing backup lights to the turn/brake lights.
With headlights on the two original tail lights are lit.
If I use a left or right signal, both lights on either side flash and when brakes are applied, all four lights come on.
There is a bulb that /6 Dan suggested for the backup sockets that match the brightness of the brakelights and turn signals.
I think it was a 1096 single contact bulb, and I can look if you need to know for sure.
I will definitely do this. Thanks for all the help/Advice. I believe the Fender indicators got switched when Painting the car and the screw hole just didn't quite match. I just placed a tiny solder bead right by the screw hole so the screw makes contact with ground.
BTW, My Tail lights are in the Bumper ALA '73. But anything to make me more visible is worth doing. It amazes me that a 40+ year old car can have everything working like this. Even the Automatic canceler when coming off a turn.

-
Back