few magnum questions before swap.

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Will my converter on my la 360 work or not and how to tell. Also if I wanna keep serpentine setup how do I do so , like what alternator to use . Also what oil is there for this setup not sure if it's the same for magnum and la pan. Part numbers if u got them thanks. One more question how big of cam will the stock heads and Springs take. I got a low mileage engine and was just gonna swap it in without taking heads off

Will my converter on my la 360 work or not and how to tell. Also if I wanna keep serpentine setup how do I do so , like what alternator to use . Also what oil is there for this setup not sure if it's the same for magnum and la pan. Part numbers if u got them thanks. One more question how big of cam will the stock heads and Springs take. I got a low mileage engine and was just gonna swap it in without taking heads off

Regarding the converter, which Magnum Engine and trans are you using? the 5.2 are neutral balance and the 5.9 Magnum uses a weighted flexplate and a neutral-balanced converter.

The serp belt system on the Magnum will work just fine. If you wanted to change to a V belt and make it look more like an LA, you would need the LA timing cover, water pump and V belt pulley.

Use an LA car style oil pan because the Magnums are truck style and don't fit.
Example -

http://magnummopar.com/kevko-5-2-5-9-magnum-oil-pan/

The cam, if its a 5.2 than the stock cam is almost maxed out, the 5.9 can use the 5.2 cam or a similar regrind.
example -

http://magnummopar.com/camshaft-mil...9l-price-includes-refundable-100-core-charge/

Regarding the converter, which Magnum Engine and trans are you using? the 5.2 are neutral balance and the 5.9 Magnum uses a weighted flexplate and a neutral-balanced converter.

The serp belt system on the Magnum will work just fine. If you wanted to change to a V belt and make it look more like an LA, you would need the LA timing cover, water pump and V belt pulley.

Use an LA car style oil pan because the Magnums are truck style and don't fit.
Example -

http://magnummopar.com/kevko-5-2-5-9-magnum-oil-pan/

The cam, if its a 5.2 than the stock cam is almost maxed out, the 5.9 can use the 5.2 cam or a similar regrind.
example -

http://magnummopar.com/camshaft-mil...9l-price-includes-refundable-100-core-charge/

I'm using 5.9 magnum. If I keep the serpentine set up how will the magnum alternator work and wire up. Lot more amps

Are you using the factory injection or a carb? The Magnum Alt is managed by the PCM although looking at wire diagram it seems like you could hook it up without it. Never tried because everything we build has injection and PCM.

You can use a roller up to about .470" lift without breaking springs assuming they are in good shape. The 5.9 heads have tiny intake valves, smaller than the 5.2 heads. If you can change the heads to EQ or at least 5.2's I would recommend it. We have a .450" lift cam for $199 thats a huge improvement over the pathetic .400" stock 5.9 cam. FYI stock 5.2 cam is .439" lift.
BTW, most 5.9 heads are cracked, we just assume they all are and dont use them.

Bare minimum we recommend is 5.2 heads and cam but always recommend EQ and our stage I cam. Anything larger than that cam needs springs but our stage II springs are good to well over .550" lift. The stage I cam is also as large as you can run without flashing the PCM.

Also, don't forget that you can not use the one-piece Magnum oil pan gasket on the aftermarket pans for LA motors that have the notches near the pan rail at the timing cover cutout.

Attachments

• Oil Pan pic.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Oil Pan Gaskets.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 256
Also, don't forget that you can not use the one-piece Magnum oil pan gasket on the aftermarket pans for LA motors that have the notches near the pan rail at the timing cover cutout.

Isn't that only true if you are using an LA timing cover? I thought if you go Magnum timing cover + LA oil pan + Magnum gasket, it works without modification

Damn, say that again so he hear's it!!

Learned this twice the hard way, pulling that engine in and out like an accordion!

---------------

Converter works real easy, just enlarge one hole on the flex plate.

i used the speedway cheapie center-sump pan for $50... Still on there.

The serpentine stuff swaps over accept two things:

If going Carb, You NEED the Edelbrock #7577, and NEED to plug the single cooler tap on the right, preferably with a 3/8 hex head plug; then and drill/tap open up the two smaller ones on the left 3/8 MIP. Otherwise the stock alt/ac bracket won't fit. You can get a drill bit/tap set on Amazon for cheap..

Otherwise get out your death wheel and start chopping that bracket up, like I did to use the crosswind job; In hind-sight I should have gone edelbroke firstly..

ALSO! Use a VAN! power-steering pump ; the bracket brings the pump closer to the block so it clears the battery tray..

The rest falls on like a good tuxedo. May I suggest a Carter 4600-HP fuel pump, nice and quiet for what it is; a beast!

Isn't that only true if you are using an LA timing cover? I thought if you go Magnum timing cover + LA oil pan + Magnum gasket, it works without modification

That statement is NOT true. Magnum timing cover, Magnum motor, LA oil pan must use 4 piece LA gaskets + some goop. The Magnum style one-piece pan gasket will only work with the Magnum timing cover and magnum oil pan.

I used the regular, non-van power steering set-up, but had to cut my battery tray and use a narrower battery. Works like a charm.

Attachments

• oil trap 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 227
What if somebody were to use a LA timing cover and a mag oil pan?
What gasket to use...If it will fit at all.

That statement is NOT true. Magnum timing cover, Magnum motor, LA oil pan must use 4 piece LA gaskets + some goop. The Magnum style one-piece pan gasket will only work with the Magnum timing cover and magnum oil pan.

I used the regular, non-van power steering set-up, but had to cut my battery tray and use a narrower battery. Works like a charm.

Man you guys get irritated quick. Anyway, That makes sense, but I took my information from magnumswap.com, but maybe I misread it...

Quote:

"The Chrysler LA 360 oil pan will bolt-up to the Magnum with no modifications, but you aren’t stuck with the typical leaky four-piece 360 Gasket. The Magnum uses a one-piece oil pan gasket. If you use the Magnum timing cover, you can use the gasket as-is."

What if somebody were to use a LA timing cover and a mag oil pan?
What gasket to use...If it will fit at all.

You can only use a magnum oil pan in a truck or suv, there are no car style center sump oil pans. If someone would only realize the market potential.

-
Back