Finally a Working Fuel Gauge..

-

cooljjay

Proud Owner Of Christy
Reaction score
Boy you never would think that having a working fuel gauge could bring so much happeness :D It only cost me $330.00. I always assumed that my fuel sending unit was the problem, as since I got the car the gauge never went past half full. So I didn't feel like dealing with the gas, so I bought the float and had the shop do it. Well that wasn't it, turned out to be the voltage do dad on the back of the gauge, got the plug n play version, and that was the problem along with lose grounds and dirty connectors. So 70$ for the Voltage guy, 100$ for the float and 160$ for the install of the float. I no longer have the worry of running out of gas on a long trip any more. Now if I can just find one of those shows to do all my body work and interior for free :D

where was this "voltage guy" ? i need my gauge fixed, only goes to 3/4 full and i drive it every day soo its a major annouyance.

where was this "voltage guy" ? i need my gauge fixed, only goes to 3/4 full and i drive it every day soo its a major annouyance.

It is right behind the fuel gauge, its a little 3 prong rectangle box. Its easier to see if you pull the cluster, but I've heard pulling the cluster isn't easy. You can get to it if you drop the fuse box and reach behind. Its easy to pull off but a little tricky getting the new one in. There is an old condener attached to it, but you don't need it with the new and I just left mine detached.

what do you mean by you dont need the condenser with the new? does the new box or wutever come with a new condenser or something?

what do you mean by you dont need the condenser with the new? does the new box or wutever come with a new condenser or something?

I believe the condenser were used to keep the excess voltage from interfering with the AM recpetion on the radio.

I wouldn't get the one on the bay. I still recommending buy the plug n play one below. Yes its more expensice but I think its worth it. It also has a lot more neater features.

http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_ABlimiter

I believe the condenser were used to keep the excess voltage from interfering with the AM recpetion on the radio.

I wouldn't get the one on the bay. I still recommending buy the plug n play one below. Yes its more expensice but I think its worth it. It also has a lot more neater features.

They are both sold on ebay. They both have the same exact features. Except for 2 major ones. The one that looks like the original cost twice as much and it pumps full battery voltage on start up to the gauges and senders, That why the senders and gauges failed to begin with. The other doesnt look original, but its a steady stream of power which deosnt past 5.1v ever. That prolongs the life of the system.

Here is my interpretation of the two types. You can decide what works best. Looks vs Functions...

Untitled-4.jpg

I just finally got mine working too, new sender, new gauge (actually found a NOS gauge at a Chrysler dealer in NH). Still didn't work properly, also a broken ground strap and needed a voltage regulator. NOW IT WORKS!:cheers:

-
Back