Firm Feel Box

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Thinking about tossing my tired old manual steerign box for a firm feel unit, the next quickest ratio from stock.

Anyone have experiences?

Would you consider rebuilding your existing box? You could put a different ratio gear in there.

Flaming Fiver also makes a very nice unit but it runs around 400-500 dollars. You could try to find a fast ratio arm for your stock box, you could also get a fast ratio "worm gear" to put inside your stock box. What year is your steering box? If you change the worm gear you may need a 73-76 box. You could also try to find a fast ratio steering box from a 65-66 Barracuda Formula S but they are very rare!

I just purchased the power steering box from Firm Feel. Anybody have any success with the Firm Feel PS upgrade.

I believe they make a good unit (remanufactured). I will be changing to a new manual box as I don't believe I have room for the power steering pumpgear in my engine bay

Just a heads up on Firm Feel. Myself as well as another member here have had some issues with Firm Feel boxes leaking. I converted to a quick ratio manual box that I purchased exchange from Firm Feel and I began to have grease leakage out of the top cover plate and around the cover plate bolts almost from the moment I began to drive the car. I contacted Firm Feel and they said they would replace it no charge. That's fine except on a 69 Dart that's a major job to do. I decided to just live with it and hope that eventually the grease would leak enough to gradually be something that is infrequent. They told me that the reason that the cover plate leaks is because they don't install a gasket under it when they rebuild them, but rather apply silicone sealant instead. If the sealant isn't applied correctly or adequately it will leak. Other than that the unit works well and I have learned to deal with it.

Just an fyi!

I love the StageIII Firm Feel power box I installed last summer, but have nothing good to say about them or thier company. Absolutely the worst customer service and poorest business practices it has ever been my displeasure to experience. If you decide to get one, ask them if they bench tested it, then ask them to do it again. At least one person in that shop is doing sloppy work and they ship leakers all the time. They don't care if you have to spend all day on a very difficult job, R&Ring their mistake. I ended up fixing mine myself, filing a credit card chargeback and going though a whole mess of crap because of those idiots.

dusterdon said:
Damn, was I the only one who thought " firm feel box" was going to be a good dirty joke?

A firm feel box is nice, but but nothing beets a good rack. :scratch:

LOL.

I like manual steering myself. My Barracuda had a fast ratio manual box. It came out of a 67 Formula S.

busted knuckles said:
Would you consider rebuilding your existing box? You could put a different ratio gear in there.

Where would one get a fast ratio worm gear? I have a '73 box and wouldn't mind having a fast ratio steering gear.

I don't really want to bother with re-building mine and I dont think theres much point in the quick ratio pitman arm as the box is getting worn out -she is pushing 36yrs-

I think its a 71' box still anyways. It's manual steering so I hate the number of turns it takes to manouver the car but in the same boat dont want to make it really hard to turn. Would the 1st quickest ratio over stock be a nice all around driver?

Now you have me freaked out on this Firm Feel Box that leaks. This is tough RR and I dont want to do it twice. Does anyone else make one that works. I would really like to tighten up the power steering.

Look around the threads the top cover collar goes into. It's the large castle nut-type retainer that seals the case to the adjustment screw housing. If you see traces of RTV or some type sealant you are probably OK. If not, take it off and look for a large O-ring under there. Chrysler originally sealed them with an O-ring, but Firm feel thinks RTV is OK. Or in my case, they just didn't use anything. If there's no sealant and no O-ring, I'd send it back and call Steer 'n Gear in OH.

I put in the Firm Feel Stage II a few years back!!!
I just wish I did it 20 years ago,what a difference than the stock piece of @#%& !! :thumbup:

-
Back