First time super six swap

-

madd

Reaction score
I am swapping the intake this weekend. Tonight, removed intake and am excited to get the rest done tomorrow. I only broke the exhaust bolts, no bolts in the head. Going to drill this out tomorrow. Goal is running for work on Monday. Only daily driver. Napa and car quest are open all weekend. Wish me luck. Any advice is expected and appreciated. If it wouldn't be for all of you I wouldn't be here.

Attachments

• New Doc 1.pdf
    821.9 KB · Views: 199
  • New Doc 2.pdf
    821.5 KB · Views: 176
  • New Doc 3.pdf
    937 KB · Views: 126
  • New Doc 4.pdf
    938.6 KB · Views: 146
  • New Doc.pdf
    776.3 KB · Views: 120
i'f say be sure to read the tech articles on tightenin the bolts properly. info here and slantsix.org.
I been "hordin" a supersix setup for a while. decided I needed the $ toward a air compressor worse. its listed for sale in classified.
I had runnin supersix cars long years ago and you will love it.

I'm assuming you broke the two 5/16" bolts that hold the two manifolds together plus the linkage? If there is anything left of it to grab ahold of try some heat and some WD 40. Or else drill away.
Stick or auto? If its an auto, you DO have the right kickdown linkage, correct? Not much from the 1 barrel set up can be re-used, except the throttle cable.
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm

Drilled bolts out and used new grade 8 bolts for the flange. Torqued properly through a heat cycle X2. She runs great!

Ok so. I take back the great, she runs. So here's what I did and a list off problems.

81 d150 he conversion via classichei.com. non vacuum advance distributor, carter bbd 2 barrel, cast super six manifold with egr blocked off. No choke. Set by hand on carb every times she's cold.
Fast idle set at 1600 cold idle 700. 13° initial timing(I don't know how to find the rest)
Idles fine, cruises and wot on highways fine

But.......

In corners on the highway 55+ it sputters

The pedal is initially very stiff then about 3/8 throttle it frees up very nicely.
I had to bed the bracket for the throttle cable a little to line it up better.

Please help. If you need more information please ask

are you saying it sputters in the corners and also when going over 55? will it go over 55? i did the conversion on a car i had a long time ago and it was gutless. wouldnt get me up to highway speed and made my car overheat. cleaned the carb and reset the float level and everything was good after that.

Fresh rebuild on the carb. It does go over 55 but I won't admit to speeding ;).
No overheating issues

**it goes over 55 very well and will not sputter upon wot
It does sputter in the corners
It also has a hiccup for a second when going from cruising to wot

sputter in the corners sounds like a float adjustment. hiccup from cruise to wot is a accelerator pump adjustment.

-
Back