flashers ain't flashing out back...

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1st let me preface this by saying I hate electrical work as it is my weakest point next to bodywork.

my 87 Dodge D250 pickup.

when you turn on the flashers the indicators flash on the dash and the proper lights flash in front but nothing out back. :scratch: Obviously I checked the bulbs and the contacts inside the bulb sockets for any form of corrosion. The turn signals perform as designed front and rear. :dontknow:

If the turn signals out back are working then the problem isn't in the bulbs or wiring to the tail lights. I would have to guess the problem is in the turn signal switch, possably just a dirty contact in the switch.

Possible dirty 4 way flasher switch?

I don't have a wiring diagram for a newer truck but if they're anything like the seventies cars,which is highly likely,then the power goes through the hazard switch first then through the turn signal switch then to the lights.

If the front and dashboard turn signal lights are flashing then the hazard switch and flasher are good and the problem is most likely in the turn signal switch.The turn signal switch has a lot of different jobs and are known to fail quite regularly,luckily they're pretty standardized and new aftermarket ones are pretty reasonable.

If you have a wiring diagram for your truck then you should be able to find the correct wires to use a test light on at the plug coming from the steering column.

Check out your turn signal switch. I don't know if it's relevant but when mine messed up on my car that's where the problem was.

-
Back