Front End Rebuild And Chassis Braces

-

TurboTeen

Reaction score
Hello friends, been cruising around on this site for a while now. Decided to jump in and ask some questions. Lots of knowlegable folks on here. Have a 73 Duster, front end is completely torn apart. Every bushing was completely shot (and they werent oem), bump stops all torn off, no sway bars, shocks were bent and totally trashed, but the T bars are .890 so thats a plus. Have some questions concerning my front end rebuild and some chassis stiffening. Motor will be a turbo fuel injected 318 with a 904 so I'm expecting about 500 hp at this high altitude. Nothing too wild. :burnout:
So I was thinking with all the abuse it had taken that before I add sub frame connectors I should put the car on a frame rack and see if it's been twisted in the past. Waste of money or not?? I'd hate to weld sub frame connectors to a tweaked frame.

Should I ditch the .890 T bars and go bigger?? Vehicle purpose would be mostly street with the occasional pass at the strip. Extra cornering would be nice. Added a little bit of weight with the turbo and plumbing, maybe an extra 50-70 lbs to the passenger side. But I relocated the battery to the trunk, and went to manual steering so that lightened the driver side a bit lol. Still have iron heads but an aluminum intake.

Have heard from a buddy that had a duster that the support holes in the K member for the lower control arm are a weak link and he had successfully broke the welds enough that the LCA would wiggle around in the K member. Like where the pivot pin bolts into. Checked out mine and nothing is broken but the welds look weak. Is it worth reinforcing this area??

Thanks guys for reading!

Its always a good idea to check it out and make sure the car is squared up before adding reinforcing, but these old cars varied somewhat dimensionally when built, I think 1/4 inch is the general rule as far as error. There are a few threads on this site that cover k-frame mods if you do a search

-
Back