-

jerry's demon

Reaction score
have 340 sb.with carter afb 625 cfm carb (comp series). problem is: after
car sits for 4-5 days, when i try to start it, i have to crank & crank to get
fuel back to carb. any ideas? this is my first mopar. a friend says they all
do it. i can't believe that. thanks.
jerry

I had a jeep with a carter 1 barrel that used to do that and after careful examination
I found a small crack in the bottom of the float bowl. Not that that's your problem, but also if your gas has a lot of alcahol in it it will evaporate much quicker with a warm engine.

fuel bowls should hold fuel for quite a long time. You must have a small crack somewhere. Looks like either live with it or replace the carb.

My 340 Dart has done that since the day it was born. Every guy I know who had a 340 Dart, Duster or Cuda way back in the day had the same problem. There were no leaks or cracks anywhere in the carbs. It really used to honk us off to have to crank the starter for what seemed like forever to get the fuel back in the bowls to fire the engine. The only thing we could tell that was common on all of the cars was that the Carter AVS carbs had an open hole/vent over the bowl that the accelerator pump seal covered when the throttle was pushed to activate the accelerator pump. That hole is open when the engine is off and the throttle is fully closed. We figured the gas was evaporating through that opening which caused the problem.

We just lived with it!

That's pretty well a standard thing with the Carter AFB and today's junk fuel. The fuel will evaporate over a period of time and you have to give it a few cranks and pumps to fill it up again. I run a small electric fuel pump on a manual switch, which helps a lot.

thanks for quick response. i am running a mech fuel pump, elec ign., and
elec choke is hooked up. i have a one way chk valve that i was going to
put in fuel line after filter. i thought if the fuel was siphoning back to tank
this would stop it.

-
Back