Fuel pump or carb??

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have this '70 Dart with a 318. When the car sits overnight, the gas drains out of the fuel filter. I have to crank the daylights out of it to get the gas back up. I got the car started, but it seemed as though there was not enough gas in the filter at first. After running about 10 minutes, I looked to see the filter about half way full. I know, plastic filter.......I had one on my old '71 30 years ago and no problem. That car, all I had to do was pump the pedal half-way to set the choke on cool days, 1/4 on warm days. Thats it. I know the carb needs rebuilding, but I'm working on the body first. I just want to be able to move the car in and out of the garage. Thanks.

What pressure is the pump putting out? Has the sock in the tank ever been changed?

Pump is stock, and so I don't know pressure. No, I have not changed the sock yet. But I did notice that the intake end of the filter was lower than the line to the carb. So I gently bent the fuel line so that the outlet to the carb was lower than the intake side. This way the gas won't drain out of the filter. Will this work? I'm not sure. I did look and noticed that gas was still in the filter after about two hours. I'll wait for a few more hours and check on it before bedtime tonight. Thanks for the response though!

hope its not the pump eccentric that's on the end of the cam.....mine just went bad and I put in two fuel pumps before I figured it out....it's worn down and wont push the rod far enough or at all.

Now it's electric pump or engine rebuild......hmmmm I think since it still runs decent I'm going with the electric fuel pump and limping along till it dies.

Food for thought.

Mop

-
Back