Fuel pumps regulators and filters

-

OHD

Banned
Reaction score
Has anybody done any side by side comparisons of pumps filters and regulators to see which flow the best with, the highest continous output, the least restrictions, with the lowest amp requirements?

I just finished comparing Aeromtive PE MagnaFuel Grant and Weldon pumps, numerous bypass regulators, and totaly different manufacturers' filters to feed a 1000-1150HP NA motor and would like to compare results.

I was not pleased with one of the manufacturers not selling service parts, for my present parts, and I am yanking the stuff out of my car. Plumbing the new stuff in this winter.

I feed through 12 lines to pump(s) return with 8 and fuel the carbs with 10 and think I got about the best setup possible. I had to modify one part and get some weird hard to find stuff but it now it even looks neat...

Let me know what you came up with. I can and will post my results if anyone is interested.

I used a Hilborn 500 12 12 canister filter, connected to a Weldon 2035 pump 12 in 10 out that I cut the edges out and radiused them inside the body of the pump,connected to a Weldon 2040 regulator 10 10 with the orfice opened up to .284 and the base opened up for 8 orb fitting, connected to a Peterson 400 10 10 final filter. I connected filter to reg with steel HD orb fittings for stability instead of aluminum. These are hard to find and I got them for 4-5 bucks each instead of 18-22 for weaker aluminum. They are called adjustable orb fittings 12 12 and 10 10, company out of TX.

I mounted a 2.5 inch Weis liquid filled pressure gage via a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer part no 4-2RA-B to the regulator, Can see it well.

Opening up the orfice (from .200 to 284 instead of the 281 from weldon)and bottom return fitting on the regulator cut way down on the return fuel feed speed and cavitation thus caused less foaming in the tank. Radiusing the internals of the pump eliminated the cavitation and I was able to back off the spring pressure on the regulator.

The Hilborn and Peterson filters have ss mesh filters and need nothing. I used the Hilborn for its size and ability to retain fuel for initial prime, almost instantly.

The only parts that would ever need service are Weldon and they will sell you parts down to the decals if you want them..

In future if I need more pressure there 2 pumps above this one that are available the 2345 and 16000 both electrical and a belt drive if I want to go that route.

Flexibility, service parts, and excellent quality all around.. The Weldon Pumps and regulators are amazing in their construction. The filters are bullet proof.

My gas guzzler will not run out of fuel or wait for service work and the ups back and forth stuff, ever.

-
Back