FUEL PUMPS

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
how can you tell/check to see if there pumping good enough??
i have a holley blue and i think thats been my problem!!!

Mine was running kinda crappy,then i pulled the bottom plate off an cleaned the filter thing an now shes fin,then the problem happiend again then i jsut uped an got a new one

Mike theres away to figure it out by how many gallons it can pump a minute, But im not 100% sure how it works. How old is your blue pump. They dont last long. If your shopping for a new pump The Aeromotives are said to be great. Save some cash and buy the Summit fuel pump. Its an Aeromotive and its alittle cheap.

adam,
my pump is about 3 yrs old but its the ONLY other thing i can think of thats slowing me down...my dad has NEVER had a problem with the blue pumps that he has run.

i went 12.5@104 with 80's and 12.6@103 with 84's and my plugs looked like they were SANDBLASTED!!!!

i was talking to my dad last night and HE thinks its my pump too.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge in the car? If not and you don't want the expense just pull the hood and rig a cheap one up so you can see it and run it through the gears.

i have a old one that im gonna hook up and have my buddy sit in the car and hold it.
now,if theres a LOOSE connection but STILL works, will it still pump at 110gph??....IF it needs 20amps and its only getting 10-15amps will THAT affect it??

im STILL leaning out on HIGH rpms and its GOT to be 1 of 2 things...pumps not getting enough amps to work properly or my pump is bad,which i doubt.

the FREAKIN saga CONTINUES!!
i hooked up the outside fuel gauge and my reg was set at 7#'s...took a ride on 84 east and went thru the gears and the gauge dropped to 6.5#'s so my pump is good!!
it leans out over 6200 in every gear!!!!

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG????
WHY AM I LEANING OUT ON TOPEND???
ITS BAD!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Pump pressure is only one indicator of a pump's performance. Proper fuel delivery requires pressure and volume. Example, if you had a restriction in your system (small line, etc.) you would have pressure, but no flow.Go to Barry Grant's web site, they post a procedure on testing a pump's performance.

well, i put my uncles 800 holley DP on and me and my dad went for a ride!!!...went down 84east and the car WOULDNT go over 6200!!!!
1st!!!,2nd!!!,3rd!!!
my dad says its NOT fuel but it may be my dist....when i put on my PROFORM my 340 wouldnt idle or even start...i welded the weights in the dist. and it "fixed" the problem BUT now it wont go over 6200 AT ALL!!!
WOULD my dist. do this??
anybody got any good used dist. laying around??

Mike, the more I read about your trouble the more I gotta say it's in the ignition somewhere. I had the same problem with the orange box once. Borrow a different ign to try, or check all your connections on your current one.

if you were reading fuel pressure close to the carb your problem isn't fuel flow restriction. If the flow is cut back the pressure would drop off.

Could you post a picture of the plugs? I would like to see them.

What kinda of fuel are you running? If you aren't running race fuel, Try some race fuel and see if the problem goes away. Or if you don't have any race fuel add some toulene or xylene to increase the octane of your pump gas. Mix 10to1. Toulene is 120 octane.

Have you checked your timing at 6200+ rpm? Try that and see what happens. If it goes crazy at that rpm then could be a number of things Pick-up coil, timing chain etc.

Hello all,
Mike, I think the blue may be part of the problem. I know some cars run hard through the traps and are still lean due to not enough gas. Send your distributor to Don at FBO. Its really a great bang for the buck.
I remember your car getting close to the 11s? I have been gone a while. If your car just started going slower, its must be fuel.

ok....

brett...ever since i put the PROFORM body on my carb,ive had trouble...i welded the weights in my dist and it helped to start but NOW it may be hurting me on top-end!!

340duster....i either run 105 or a mix of 105 and 93...i havent checked my timing at 6200 but i think i will tri it!!!...i was supposed to borrow a dist. from somebody but he has changed his mind...i GUESS he doesnt want me to fix my problem cuz then he WONT have a chance in beating me!!! lol!!!

70....ive ALWAYS had a problem with missing/leaning on top-end..i need a NEW dist. and yes,i went 12.07@108

derick...YES!!!!...EVERYTHING!!!!

Mike if you need a new distributor I have one you can have. Its a Mopar Perf. vacume advance dist. I just need to dig it out of the garage.

-
Back