Fumbling

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Gosh I'm having a fun time trying to get the converter on the tranny. I lined up the pump with the slots in the converter and push it in, then rotate it a bit to line everything up and it still won't go in all the way.
Grrrr I should have just pulled the engine and tranny right out of the car and did it on the floor.

haven't gotten to mine yet, and i've never done a mopar, but on a ford, it usually takes more than just a little wiggling......we usually jiggle it while turning, and the third drop into the tranny is home.....

i'd imagine a mopar is similar.....

green67cuda said:
haven't gotten to mine yet, and i've never done a mopar, but on a ford, it usually takes more than just a little wiggling......we usually jiggle it while turning, and the third drop into the tranny is home.....

i'd imagine a mopar is similar.....
Yup

tilt your head the other way and stick your tongue out, then try....

oh, and squint one eye

and like i said....TRY this time

:lol:

but seriously, i too have had a converter go in with more difficulty than the time before.....gotta think....you have a splined shaft that you can't see....and you're trying to line it up with a splined hole that you can't see AND that has a tendency to want to rotate.....turn it a few times while jiggling/pushing/cussing....it'll go in.....

Mopower71 said:
I've done this before and never had as much of a problem

I think its a mopar thing sometimes they go on pretty easy other times you can fight with it awhile than take a break and come back it and slides right into place. I have a cool little tools that lines everything up and still sometimes that third bump wants to be a pain.

I guess I just had to walk away for a bit.
Went back under the car, a few wiggles here and a push there and on she went.
Next step is to get the tranny lined back up and get all the bolts back in.
Eaiser said than done, the lower right bolt sits right behind the oil filter.

Mopower71 said:
I guess I just had to walk away for a bit.
Went back under the car, a few wiggles here and a push there and on she went.
Next step is to get the tranny lined back up and get all the bolts back in.
Eaiser said than done, the lower right bolt sits right behind the oil filter.

Yup I know how that all goes. I used to allways take the engine and tranny in and out seperately. The last time I took them out I took them in and out as one and saved myself some big time fumbling around in those tight places. I think thats the only way I will do it again now.

my mopar converters have never realy been a pain in the as compared to the one in my chevy caprice...
my converter slipes right in yesterday, got to love that sound when it goes on whit no problems!

someone wrote about pulling the engine and trans as a complete package i want to put out a warning against this, its a real pain in the as if you have a deep sump oilpan!! with stock oilpan on the engine its realy easy :wink:

My pan is deep and it's not a problem.
I use an engine leveler on the hoist(can tilt forward and backwards). I also have an old driveshaft yoke I put in the tailshaft and secure, so there's no mess.

I just put the 383 back in my Barracuda . We tried putting the motor in first then the trans in after. What a pain in the *** these Big Blocks in a-bodies are...... It was just as difficult as putting it all in as one piece. Those damn b body headers I am using are impossoble to work with. Some day i am going to shoot the buck and buy a decent set. Anyways I guess what I am getting at is, there is NO easy way of doing it. I can't believe when I was younger I thought this was fun. :shaking:

I was at the shop Friday it took 20 minutes of turning back and forth
with pressure to get the third clunk. And it was on a bench.

Mopower71 said:
My pan is deep and it's not a problem.
I use an engine leveler on the hoist(can tilt forward and backwards). I also have an old driveshaft yoke I put in the tailshaft and secure, so there's no mess.

Yup thats how I do it too! Helps I found is if you get the car up on jack stands also, than you have plenty of room to swing that tail shaft down. I will have to try your yoke idea. I ussually put the platic plug that was on when I got my tranny than wrap it with plastic bags and duck tape it. Saves the floor from getting messed up but sure greases up the tail shaft.

If you guys are running deep sump pans how are you dealing with the drop link situation? Also by deep sump do you mean like a truck style oil pan or does someone make a center deep sump for cars?

ok i had my car on a realy low set of jackstands first and that was still a pain to work with.. just my thoughts about it, it took me alone over 2 hours to get the engine and trans in that way :cry: i have an oilpan with a realy deep sump located in the stock position so the centerlink and K member wasnt realy a problem..

duster340 said:
ok i had my car on a realy low set of jackstands first and that was still a pain to work with.. just my thoughts about it, it took me alone over 2 hours to get the engine and trans in that way :cry: i have an oilpan with a realy deep sump located in the stock position so the centerlink and K member wasnt realy a problem..

Ok I see now. Yea the last time I did it my brother and I had did the swap it took us 30 minutes from the time we hoisted the engine/tranny off the floor until the engine and tranny was bolted into places and the headers on also. When we used to do everything seperate it would take us a hold day just to get the engine, tranny, starter, and headers hooked up. THan you still have to do electric and plumming and etc before you can even turn the key.

Tranny's back in. But NOBODIES leaving class until I get my short 5/8" swivel socket back. :x
Can't find the dang thing and I need it to tighten the lower right tranny bolt.
It would have been easier to pull the engine and tranny and do everyting that way. I just hope it's not laying on top of the header.
The hard part is done now. Just have to get the starter, rear mount and lines hooked back up, then it's on the the back side of the car to put the Cal-Tracs and Rancho's on.

Found my socket :cheers:
It was were I figured it was, hiding on the headers.
Well, Looks like I'm going to make some noise tomorrow. Everrythings hooked back up, tightened up, and ready to go except for the driveshaft. Figured since it was almost midnight, I would wrap it up for the night.

-
Back