Gas leaking from top of gas tank?

-

Badfish1

Reaction score
Drove the Barracuda and filled up drove about a mile home. noticed gas dripping it looks like from the top of the gas tank. has been dripping now for about and hour and not really stopping maybe slowing down a little. any ideas? also gas gauge has not been working but all other gauges working fine. also once I remove tank should I go with new and where do you find them. thanks for any help.

I'm guessing you will have to go new, yours sounds like it has a hole in it.

no gas inside trunk or around gas cap area. is filler gasket on top? will evently enough gas drip out and stop once it gets a couple gallons low?

no gas inside trunk or around gas cap area. is filler gasket on top? will evently enough gas drip out and stop once it gets a couple gallons low?

Is it dripping from the driver side of the tank?

Have you checked around the sending unit to see if it's dripping from there?

Could be leaking out the vent tube if you over filled the tank , like running it all the way up the filler neck

Found the problem. Crawled under car. There is a little 2 inch portion of rubber gas line that connects the fuel sending unit to the main steel gas line. Hopefully that will be it. Thanks for the info guys and girls.

It really sounds like the filler tube gasket is the problem. The filler tube goes in the drivers side at the upper front od the tank.

the filler neck slides in to the tank thru a large rubber gasket. that and the rubber line you mentioned will deteriate thru time. like he said, the pickup also has a rubber gasket between it and the tank. they can also deteriate also, but are thin and seem to last many years.
its a hassel but pulling the tank and inspecting the pickup unit, rust inside tank, possible holes (( many times on top of tank) is a good idea.( unless you are in the dessert).
all this stuff is sold on feebay and thru repubtable new parts vendors. there is a quality difference ( and price) in it all! hopes this helps.

-
Back