Gauge issue

-

Retnuh22

Reaction score
I have installed a Speedhut 2 1/16 fuel gauge (set at 10-73 ohms). When I accelerate, the gauge needle lowers. When left at an idle, the gauge will increase and get to about 7/8 full and stay pretty steady. When I turn off the car and restart, the needle doesn't go back to the same location. Sometimes will read half, sometime close to full.

An ohm reading on the sender wire in the trunk reads anywhere from 10.4-14.0 ohms. Can't get it to read steady (car turned off) using a snap-on multimeter. The gauge to sender wire is spliced near the kick panel connector (before the dash side of connector). The ground is a self tapping screw and butt-connector screwed to the body behind kick panel.

The sending unit is a new remaned and has the ground strap from sending unit to fuel line. Gas tank is new. I had dash gauge issues with temp and fuel, so I went aftermarket. I did not test the sending unit prior to install.

I will try to clean the ground locations on sender and gauge wires tomorrow. The vehicle is a 1967 Dart, square back alternator, and electronic ignition. Any help would be wonderful.

Cheers.

Please be easy on me, as wiring is not really my thing.

Fixed this issue. I disconnected the kick panel body harness and the gauge needle stayed rock steady. So I reconnected it and cut the fuel sending unit wire on the dash side of the harness connector and it still stayed steady. Not sure what is going on with the dash wiring, but for now all my Speedhut gauges are working accurately.

Cheers.

-
Back