grand cherokee owners any info good or bad?

-

discharger1332

Reaction score
i looked at a JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE today. its nice. Its time to get the LADY a vehicle.
2002 J.G.C. laredo edition, 4.0l engine auto trans 2wd leather interior. 112k mi looks to be in excellent condition. I didnt have time to really look at it or drive it. They were closing and i was in a hurry, but i will go back monday morning. and do all that. Just thought i would ask here about any experience with them, good or bad. I think i have heard about electrical issues? or maybee computer? but also remeber reading good stuff on here about them.
thanx in advance for any help

I have an '01 4wd with the 4.0 auto. It has 233,*** miles on it and still uses no oil between changes, motor is quiet, trans still works good, etc.
Mine's loaded up, all the electrical still works fine except the heater in the driver's seat.
I think you could literally drive it from one of the country to the other and never raise the hood.
Dallas

If it has heated seat make sure they have been fixed or unplugged. We had a GC and even on low heat it would toast our buns even to the point of the seat having a burn mark in the leather. Shortly after we sold it we got a recall notice from the factory for the problem.

The 4.0 engine,best one Jeep ever did. A 01 Jeep ,a good one.The late 80'/90's, had a expensive fuel injector r replacement price fiasco. If they have maintenance records, I like it. (Seen 250-300 k ,maintained correctly)....

X2, I would buy another, I have owned 2 for my wife to drive in the last 12 years..........................used with 155.000 ended up trading it in for another when it had a flawless 216.000, for another that had 87.000 miles only thing I had to do to the 4.0 inline was put a new exhaust manifold on it.. both where 4.0 inline and would buy another in a hart beat.. trouble free

Always had jeep g.j. never had any big problems the 4.0 motor is a real good motor & good on gas the one I have now is a 95, its loaded except for heated seats, the things are like tanks when in 4w drive,

The 4.0 engine,best one Jeep ever did.

Ditto.

Also, I've always like the Cherokee better than the Grand Cherokee. Over the years I've had 3 Cherokees and 2 Grand Cherokees. The Cherokees were excellent, To many issues, recalls, and headaches with the GC, though. I could never figure out why that is.

Next: Testimonials from GC owners on how trouble their GC is. lol

Daughter has a 04 GC with the 4.0. The GC weighs like 800+ more pounds than a regular cherokee, she lives at mile high I I live at 8,700'. Kind of puny up here or when she goes skiing.

Rides nice! Have chased electrical issues in the drivers door because of wires keep pulling apart. Pass. window motor & regulator, L. Ft. axle seal leak that has been leaking for the last 6 years (I just keep it topped off), had the radiator go out this past summer and water pump. Plastic indicator on the console shifter is a piece of shi_!

It runs and starts everytime and she likes it, just probabilly will not buy another. However, I/we have owned 4 regular Cherokees and love them.

the 4.0L is like a /6, bullet proof as long as you take care of it.
I have a customer with a 94 Grand Cherokee that has nearly 500k miles on it.
most of the issues are mickey mouse crap.
they do have a penchant for leaking between the transmission and transfer case. but at 112k if it hasn't all ready done it yet, I'd say you're good.
Look at the bushings at the transfer case shifter, they do dry rot and can leave you stuck in 4X4. not an issue if it has a 249 transfer case (full time 4x4).
Change all fluids especially in the rear end and transfer case. I'm sure they have been ignored, they always are.
Oh yeah, check the A/C, it's easy to overlook this time of year.
Overall, they're nice riding, nice looking and hold value well.

I can add a small detail, my friend's wife who is very petite says it's the easiest-driving vehicle she's ever had.

My daughter has my 1996 Jeep Cherokee with 388K and she uses it to travel to and from college and it still runs great.....the wife has a 2002 liberty and has just over 145K with no issues.......

I owned 2 of them. Both bought new a 94 and a 98 5.2 and 5.9. Great vehicles zero problems. I would still own the 98 but the EX got it in the divorce..........

it was trashed once looking closer. had been in an accident that wasnt reported, interior was pretty beat but detailed to try and cover actual condition. I found junk yard markings on quite a few parts on the front side of the car.
Thank you guys for all of the great input, I am going to keep looking maybee for a cherokee rather than the grand cherokee.

Cherokees are sweet I daily drive mine 1999 is one of the better years for Cherokees. I average just over 20mpg and take my out on some pretty crazy trails. Most reliable vehicle I have ever had. I paid $1800 for mine with a huge stack of dealer receipts. 200,000 miles and running strong. Avoid 2000-2001 prone to cylinder head cracks. Check out cherokeeforum.com for lots of good info.

I have had 3 Grand Cherokees 1996 I bought rolled over, it only had 2 broken windows, 4.0, 125,000 miles when I sold it, still seen it driving around almost 10 years latter, 2000 4.0 116,000 miles when I sold it, went with a Durango because I could use it as s back up mail vehicle ( durangos make good mail delivery vehicles as long as you don't mind buying gas ), now we have a 2008 4.7 awesome power great gas mileage (22 on the highway) 145,000 miles still drives like brand new, wife says she wants to drive it until it won't drive anymore

-
Back