GTS door panel emblem switch

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
I need some advice. I’ve recently gotten a nice set of GTS door panel emblems and need to swap them out with my current set. I searched the web and this interior forum to see if anyone had done this successfully and didn’t find much. My main concern is avoiding damaging my door panels. The emblems I just got were cut off and I can’t see doing this to remove my old emblems without cutting up my interior. Once I get the old off, I think I am going to glue the new ones in, so that’s not a concern for me. Has anyone found a safe way to pop the rivets off the back of the panels and remove the emblems without cutting or warping the panels? Big thanks to anyone who responds with help here.

Drilled em out no problem. Now getting the new ones on is proving to take some thought. Emblems only contact the panel around its lip. Don’t want sealer visible around the edge so something else needs to be done.

Is there an off chance you could put some of that sweet double sided sticky tape they have these days on the back of the panel and press the emblem? Or is the emblem deeper than the back of the panel?

If it is, I'd take a crack at making some sort of barb ' }| ' bracket, My guess is there is one big rivet in the middle of the new emblem so maybe cinch it down the Masonite with a speed nut (hopefully) the correct size, and a light gauge steel bar with a hole in the center, the diameter of the rivet, after cutting the rivet sheath away? Hell they make push nuts too... That would be sturdy and removable if you ever need to re-do the vinyl.. Just riffing here. Could be talking out of my a$$.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I know what you are talking about and that's what I'm shooting for. I think you can get that tape in fairly thick sizes which will probably work since the emblem is not that deep. Studs on back of emblems were only flush with backer board when I was done removing rivets. Too bad or I would have had a few more options. And these actually had 2 rivets, one on each end, and a center guide stud that rests in a hole but doesn't go through. Most of them I see are busted when folks remove them, and there really isn't too many floating around. Thanks again for the ideas.

I need some advice. I’ve recently gotten a nice set of GTS door panel emblems and need to swap them out with my current set. I searched the web and this interior forum to see if anyone had done this successfully and didn’t find much. My main concern is avoiding damaging my door panels. The emblems I just got were cut off and I can’t see doing this to remove my old emblems without cutting up my interior. Once I get the old off, I think I am going to glue the new ones in, so that’s not a concern for me. Has anyone found a safe way to pop the rivets off the back of the panels and remove the emblems without cutting or warping the panels? Big thanks to anyone who responds with help here.

What year is your GTS? I'm looking for a set of 69 GTS emblems if your old ones are in good shape.

-
Back