Ithaca M66 Super 12ga
Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer 12ga
Ithaca Model 37 16ga
Ithaca Model 37 20ga
Mossberg 410
Stevens Savage 22lr/410 OU

IMG_20201021_183711.jpg

Last edited:
My 17 year old daughter's little wall display in her room. Everything sits nicely in hooks for quick access. Yes, that's a spiked baseball bat. And a police baton below it.

20231223_175509.jpg

Last edited:
A youth twenty is where we start them. Literally the recoil difference between a 20 vs 410 is so absolutely minimal that there is no point. And the odds of them hitting the clay go up dramatically. Then the cost element and availability of ammo make the twenty the winner by a large margin. We start them by locking thrower down and shooting straight out targets from center station. Once they gain some confidence we start moving them back to 16 yard line and letting the thrower throw. You have to build up their confidence first. Then they start overthinking it, then they discover girls and the whole thing unravels! Hah! I coach up to seniors in HS.
Love me some trap, keep your eye on bird not the bead. sling the string.

I've mentioned before.... I keep eyeing the Ruger Precision platform in 308.... Sub 2K

As an aside, many of you probably don't appreciate this, but, being able to go onto Gallery Of Guns and not have a bajillion restrictions limitations or "NOT AVAILABLE IN YOU ZIP CODE" warnings pop-up is just glorious

West by God Virginia
I know where there is a Ruger precision brand new for way less than 2k and he has had it in the window for a year. Let me kno via PM if you decide you may be interested. All adjustable, box mag the whole enchilada!

For sure, it'll be a couple weeks at least till we get a change to go again, but I will definitely try.

We ended up going last weekend. We invited my son's friend and his dad to join us. The rental youth guns they had were slim pickings. The first one was a youth 20 with a 32" barrel, which was pretty hard for the boys to swing. We went back for another one and we got one that was shorter, but still had a long length of pull. The front bead sight was missing as well.

We threw maybe 75 birds total, the kids did most of the shooting, my sons smoked a handful of them and winged a couple and his friend winged a few as well.

I think if the shotgun fit better, we would have stayed longer, but we ended up going to the rifle range for a bit instead and plinked with some 22s.

And yesterday I made the trek out to the 500 yard range. It was a constant 24 mph wind and 40 mph gusts. I worked on my zero for my centerfire rifles, I had a few new scopes to dial in. Once I had the zero set, I chronographed everything a built a dope chart. I was able to ring the 12" plates at 200, 300 and 500 with no issue, but the 2" at 500 wasn't happening with the wind.

We ended up going last weekend. We invited my son's friend and his dad to join us. The rental youth guns they had were slim pickings. The first one was a youth 20 with a 32" barrel, which was pretty hard for the boys to swing. We went back for another one and we got one that was shorter, but still had a long length of pull. The front bead sight was missing as well.

We threw maybe 75 birds total, the kids did most of the shooting, my sons smoked a handful of them and winged a couple and his friend winged a few as well.

I think if the shotgun fit better, we would have stayed longer, but we ended up going to the rifle range for a bit instead and plinked with some 22s.

And yesterday I made the trek out to the 500 yard range. It was a constant 24 mph wind and 40 mph gusts. I worked on my zero for my centerfire rifles, I had a few new scopes to dial in. Once I had the zero set, I chronographed everything a built a dope chart. I was able to ring the 12" plates at 200, 300 and 500 with no issue, but the 2" at 500 wasn't happening with the wind.
Glad the boys had a good time, that kind of wind is just ridiculous to try and shoot in. Then you start chasing your dope and the whole thing unravels! Good call on not worrying much about the 500 line. I was working with a youth today shooting rifle at our range. He was rocking it right up until about the twenty minute mark then he was out of concentration. His Father wanted him to keep shooting but I explained to the Dad he had done remarkable and 15 mins or so is about tops for his age. It just is what it is. The Father is a great guy and is a local SWAT officer. He was drooling over a little ole 308 I had out and so I let him shoot it. He clover leafed it and started babbling something about buying it! Hah!
His son really shot good. I had to put a cement block on the bench for him to sit on. Great day.

I bet we made it about 40 minutes, ut we all kept taking turns, so lots of rest between, but like you said, the kids weren't focused after a while.

My buddy's dad drools over my 308 everytime we go, he always offers to buy it, but never a serious offer. Not sure I'd let it go anyway, I have it setup just how I want finally.

I stuck to the 300 yard steel and closer, it was pretty easy to hit. I'm just glad I got all of my zeroes dialed in.

-
Back