headliner

-

aaadave

Reaction score
hi all, i've got a 72 swinger with the hard board covered with vinyl. every place i've check on only list a headliner with 4 or 5 bows. is this an aftermarket headliner someone put in? thanks, dave.

you got the real thing. its cardboard with a micro thin layer of vinyl (maybe) over it. i have mine out. i used fiberglas on the back side to reinforcement the corners and over some cracks etc. i was sagging just under the sun visors. i wet it about 9 times with a misting bottle until i was sure the water soaked in. i placed it onto my black top drive way in this 100 degree sun and placed floor tiles and tool boxes on top of it. i let it cook for 2 days and when i unloaded it. it was dry and hard and flat where it is suppose to be. i did the same with the sail panels and then put fiberglas over the corners to help structure. came out fine. im using a very very thin vinyl over the cardboard with contact adheasive(3m super) dont expect any issues and should look good. just a little help total spend, 30 bucks, not counting the glue. 8)8)

thanks for the reply, mine is straight but its the wrong color. the back sails are peeling because of 38 years of sun, so i cant just dye it. i thought about taking it out and covering it with some black headliner foam like the newer cars. how hard is it to take em out? dave.

Welcome aboard!
I removed the headliner from my '72 Duster. It wasn't particularly difficult, but it pretty much ruined the brittle cardboard. Between the headliner and the roof was originally some type of insulation. At this point it is just a dirty brown powder. You might be able to pull one corner (rear) and try to vacuum some of it out before pulling the whole liner down.
C

the sail panels have 2 plastic plugs that fit in a grove glued to the cardboard and then push into the hole in the metal support. they are in the center area. if you can get them to pop out from reaching in around the side glass(after taking off the trim that goes down the edge of the top ad sail panel. you can slid them out. the rear tray (where the speakers are) is holding the bottom of the sail panels in. the panels have a lip that is uner the edge of the rear tray. if you loose a corner, save it and put fiberglas cloth on the back side to re do and support. ill send some pics tomorrow of the panels i have out and where the buttoms are on the back side.

sorry took so long, got busy at work. the cardboard has a square glued on the back in 2 places. it takes a small plastic snap in with kind of a cork screw top thats twist into the hole in the middle of the cardboard. it just snaps into the metal inner roof beam.

DSCN3928.JPG

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Welcome Dave! I've got the same headliner in my '72 swinger. About 25 years ago I changed interior color from green to black without taking it out. I don't recomend it. Take your time removing everything and if it breaks, fix it like the other guys said with fiberglass. You mentioned the foam-backed tricot material. I've used that in several cars that origionally came with it and it is easy to work with and very forgiving. Just depends on the direction you are going with the car. Will not look period correct, but if you are updating to modern gages, seats, stearing wheel, etc, I think it would reall step up the look of the headliner. Good luck and post pics.

-
Back