Help!!! 67 Dart Upper Balljoint crooked

-
Like everyone here said this is "not acceptable". I was able to reduce the large ball joint socket with a piece of metal strap as below. It fit well and was able to to tighten to correct torque without slipping. Just make sure threads are clean and start BJ by hand. If BJ keeps turning when seated you know threads are FUBAR!

Ball joint socket 1.jpg

Ball joint socket.jpg

Another thing to consider…..
If you don’t have the right tools (welder, shop press, sandblaster, ball joint socket, bushing removal tool, etc.) maybe you should just get the control arm assembly’s.
Classic has them for $110 each for an A body and they’ve got 20 percent off. Ball joints are $50 each, 4 UCA bushings are $35, ball joint socket is $50, etc.
My Caliber had a rattle in the front end. I was sure it was a strut. It wasn’t, it was a ball joint. I got new control arms for a little more than just the ball joints woulda been. I had them changed in a couple hours, start to finish.
Now, new control arms, struts, tie rod ends and sway bar links. Handles great.

Update! I had a local front end shop help me out, we had to shim his socket with some metal strapping and a 3/4 drive impact gun got it out and slow drive it back in straight! I ordered myself the proto socket that was recommended for the next time and it’s all square and together! Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the knowledge here!

image.jpg

-
Back