Help requested - AC temperature control cable adjustment

-

KindredSpirit

Reaction score
This is a question regarding a factory AC 1971 Swinger. I have a FSM but am still having trouble with the temperature control lever and cable adjustment. My car has two bowden cables: one connecting the dash heater control lever to the blend air door arm on top of the heater box, and the second cable connecting the other end of the blend air door arm to the evaporator temperature control switch arm.

My problem is that the dash heater control lever will not move full side to side because the amount of travel is limited by the evaporator temperature control arm. I have tried longer cables, shorter cables and using the adjusting turnbuckle on the cable between the dash heater control and blend air door arm. Nothing changes the limited travel I get on the dash lever.

Has anyone else run with a pre-'73 factory air car run into this problem and found a solution?

Here's a picture (sorry about the quality) of the blend air door arm on top of my heater/AC box for reference. The heater control cable is disconnected but this is the area I am referring to in my question.
100_0784C.jpg

A google search brought me to this ancient thread but I am having A similar problem and I’m hoping someone will have some advice. @Jim Kueneman did you run into this when you went through the AC system on any of your projects

A google search brought me to this ancient thread but I am having A similar problem and I’m hoping someone will have some advice. @Jim Kueneman did you run into this when you went through the AC system on any of your projects

Maybe a little. The lever does not quite move all the way but it does not bother me.

-
Back