Help w/Afterburners

-

blue missile

Reaction score
OK
you guys will think Im crazy, ok the ones that already dont think Im that way.
I need to know how to set up spark generation for a set of functional afterburners (not flame throwers). the spark plugs are there and I have the coils, I dont want to tie it to the dist in any way, I also have the old six syl elec ignition box that was on the car.
Any solutions?
Andrew

OK
you guys will think Im crazy, ok the ones that already dont think Im that way.
I need to know how to set up spark generation for a set of functional afterburners (not flame throwers). the spark plugs are there and I have the coils, I dont want to tie it to the dist in any way, I also have the old six syl elec ignition box that was on the car.
Any solutions?
Andrew

Check Ebay for a good used F-16. LOL

good video. As he said the after burner adds thrust by injecting extra fuel into the final compressor stage causing an increase in RPMs=more thrust.

Now in regards to an internal combustion engine, what do you think the effect would be of putting the exhaust system into negative pressure right at the exhaust port on the head? More flow? More complete evacuation of the burnt gasses? more complete charge into the cylinder?

The MoPar small block's greatest flaw is its exhaust leg, What if you could negate all of that?
What if you could use shorty headers and get better performance than full length headers?
Andrew

good video. As he said the after burner adds thrust by injecting extra fuel into the final compressor stage causing an increase in RPMs=more thrust.

Now in regards to an internal combustion engine, what do you think the effect would be of putting the exhaust system into negative pressure right at the exhaust port on the head? More flow? More complete evacuation of the burnt gasses? more complete charge into the cylinder?

The MoPar small block's greatest flaw is its exhaust leg, What if you could negate all of that?
What if you could use shorty headers and get better performance than full length headers?
Andrew

Just wondering exactly how you're going to achieve "negative" pressure on the exhaust side of an engine, apart from some crazy vacuum-cleaner-type contraption...

I still need some advice in generating spark at the rear of the car
Andrew

Molotov cocktail\ :snakeman:

you can not generate enough thrust with unburnt exhaust gasses,
to propel your car down the road.

Look up JATO.?:read2:

First, GTX thanks, I was not trying to hijack the thread.

Cave man, The object is not to propel the car with the system but to negate the exhaust systems faults and limitations.

Mope, The system is based on a technology called 'Air Amplification" It utilizes compressed air and the 'Coanda" effect and laminar flow within a tube.It also incorporates a multiple venturi and a vortex inducing arangement to further accelerate the flow. The final stage would be to ignite what is flowing through the afterburner in the final stage chamber, with the addition of vaporized gasoline as an added fuel, to increase the final expansion thus increasing the flow.
Is that crazy enough for you?
I still need an answer on the spark generation for the system.
Andrew

First, GTX thanks, I was not trying to hijack the thread.

Cave man, The object is not to propel the car with the system but to negate the exhaust systems faults and limitations.

Mope, The system is based on a technology called 'Air Amplification" It utilizes compressed air and the 'Coanda" effect and laminar flow within a tube.It also incorporates a multiple venturi and a vortex inducing arangement to further accelerate the flow. The final stage would be to ignite what is flowing through the afterburner in the final stage chamber, with the addition of vaporized gasoline as an added fuel, to increase the final expansion thus increasing the flow.
Is that crazy enough for you?
I still need an answer on the spark generation for the system.
Andrew

Hmm, sounds like somebody needs to try it out! Although I think you'd need to get the flow calculations just right on an NA gasoline engine so as to not have issues with over-scavenging of the cylinders.

It's just for show. Performance wise it's going to do about as much good as strapping some asshole on the back of the car and lighting a really great fart!

Mope,
According to the engineers I have contacted the goal will be to have .25"-.5" of vacuum at the exhaust port. The system is adjustable in a number of places.

Skybolt- READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY-- These engineers build and design motors for NASCAR, Sprint and Formula one vehicles, EVERY ONE OF THEM agreed that if the system worked as designed it would boost performance.
Andrew

Mope,
According to the engineers I have contacted the goal will be to have .25"-.5" of vacuum at the exhaust port. The system is adjustable in a number of places.

Skybolt- READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY-- These engineers build and design motors for NASCAR, Sprint and Formula one vehicles, EVERY ONE OF THEM agreed that if the system worked as designed it would boost performance.
Andrew

Sounds a little testy, sorry. Please send link so I can read it for myself. Thanks.

With CAFE numbers on new cars needing help,
why hasn't one Toyota, Honda etc done this?

I think your just wasting a lot of effort trying to reinivent/rename
the automotive exhaust Flame Thrower. The exhaust flame thrower doesn't make the automobile run any better, or use Less fuel. ;)

By the way;
Catalytic Converter was invented to burn the unspent fumes/gas in the exhaust,
that system has been used for about 35 years now.

Oh, also, food for thought, if your in a National Forest,
open flame, is not wanted.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/ohv/sparkarrester.shtml

If your vehicle does not have an authorized and functioning spark arrester, do not bring it to the National Forest. You will receive a citation.
US Forest Service Forest - San Bernardino National Forest Order No. 5 - Roads and Trails

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (b) each of the following acts are prohibited on the identified areas under my jurisdiction:

4. Operating a vehicle in violation of the California Vehicle Code. 261.54d

Violation of these prohibition is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or 6 months imprisonment or both. See 16 USC 551.

Mope,

Andrew

-
Back