Holley Float Bowl Leaking after rebuild

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
holley 1920, I rebuilt it using Mikes kit. Now having issue with gas leak (slow drips) from bottom of float bowl. I noticed that when I removed it for the rebuild, the old gasket was stuck to the carb and bowl. I had to really work to remove the old gasket. it came off in pieces and shreds.

I am ready to remove the bowl and try again. I have 1 black gasket and 1 cork gasket both from Mikes. Is there also a silicone option I should coat the gasket with? Should I try to stack the gaskets? Any ideas?

hit me back soon, I want to do this today if possible.

btw: the black gasket I have is not rubber, it is like pressed fibre or something.

Shouldn't have to put anything on the gasket. I use a stiff wire brush to clean the bowl gasket remains off. The black or the cork should work. If there is a bit of a fitment issue the cork should be more forgiving.

Be sure to check the bowl and metering block with a straight edge. Over tightening the bolts can warp them.

I have the same problem with the 1920 in my Dart. Drips a little bit when it's been sitting overnight. Apparently it's the carb body that warps, not the cover. There's a video on Mike's website on how to de-warp it using a torch (video shows a different carb, but the caption says it applies to the 1920 as well).
I haven't tried the torch trick yet.

You can also use a good mill file and file the body so it is completely flat. You can tell really fast where the spots and high. You just file with the file completely flat going in a diagonal direction across the face of the mating surface. Go different directions and it will clean up just fine.

update:
yes the float cover is warped at the top and bottom, bows inward.

I tried first the cork gasket from Mikes, I put a small amount of Gasket sealer on the float cover, tightened it up, and leaks like crazy. tried cranking it, and leak would slow but not stop.
I did notice that the gasket seemed a little too big and wouldnt lay flat.

So removed it again, it looked pretty bad.

I then took a sheet of cork material, used the old gasket as template and cut one myself, trimmed it so it fit perfect. Cleaned off any sealant. Put it in tightened it up and no leaks.

so thats where I am at. will watch the next few days and see if it holds up.
Now i need to repaint the intake manifold where the gas was leaking on it, as the nice new red paint has come off.

-
Back