How do I know where redline is on my fresh engine?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I have a stroked 360, 2400 stall, with 3.21 gears.
my cam is rated at 1,800-6,200.

Does that then mean my red line would be 6200 rpms? Or play or safe at 6000??

I don't know?

Thanks!

Some engines seem to noticeably nose down when they`re out of their power band. You will want to shift several hundered rpm before you max out your power band. A lot of the power band of your cam will depend on what valve springs you have and whether your engine can rev to 6200 without valve float. With an average build you should make good power through 6K rpm without any issues.

How do I know when I get valve float? does it just not rev any higher and die die down?

Another thing is that they recommended dual springs with my 60303 Voodoo cam. I didn't listen. I found Comp single springs around the same spring rate. It runs good, but I haven't pushed it yet either. So?? We'll see.

Should I then stick with 6000, or is it safe to push to 6200 and see what happens? :toothy3:

Yup, the car will stop making power, if you know your car you`ll be able to feel it. It will rev higher but just won`t make more power. 6000 rpm is fine, the engine will gain a couple hundred rpm between the time you react to shift and the time that you`re actually in the next gear.

6000 to 6200,
not much of a biggie.

As people have said,youl feel the car nosing over when the power
drops off.

-
Back