How do you cook your wild game

-

MattP

Reaction score
I know we have a few hunters on here and it's always impressive to see what others have come up with for how to cook it. I've even noticed it's somewhat regional.

Share your favorite preparations

Deer -

Everyone loves backstrap and tenderloin. A local shop started doing tender cuts which is small chunks cut off the hindquarter and ran through a tenderizer.

I season them like steak with salt, pepper, and a little garlic and cook the them over a hot hot fire on the grill. They are small and cook pretty quickly. Usually by the time I've finished laying all the pieces out it's time to flip. Then by the time I'm done flipping they are coming off the grill. Melt in your mouth.

Another preparation for backstrap is to cut it in strips about 4-5" long and 2-3" wide. Cut a piece of bacon in 1/2 and lay the meat in line with the bacon. Place a dollop of cream cheese with a little green onion mixed in on the meat and roll the meat/bacon like a pinwheel. Pin it with a toothpick and cook on the grill.

This feeds a group but works pretty well for camp food. Take a whole hindquarter. Inject seasoning with Cajun Injector. Season liberally with salt, pepper, garlic, tony's, and whatever else you like. Wrap in aluminum foil and put on a rotisserie in your grill. Let it roll for a few hours over low heat and you'll have some premium eats that people can just carve what they want.

Dove breast soaked in milk then seasoned and wrapped in bacon work great on the grill.

Sausage -
Local shop started adding cheese into the sausage mix. My personal favorite is pepperjack. On the grill it's hard to beat.

Rabbit/Squirrel

1. Make a roux
2. Saute onion, garlic, and green pepper in the roux to build a gravy
3. Brown meat in a skillet
4. Season the gravy with salt, red & black pepper.
5. Combine meat and gravy and serve over rice.

Deer Roast

Season meat and leave it in a Dutch oven for 2 hours or so with water with onion soup mix or beef broth.

Camp breakfast-
Brown 1lb of ground meat.
Once meat is browned drain and add 1 block cream cheese and a little sage.
Roll out 1 container of crescent roll dough in the can.
Place meat/cream cheese mixture in the middle and wrap dough around to make a loaf.

Cook in the oven per crescent roll instructions.

That's a few of my favorites. Let's hear yours.

Deer meat in a crock pot, cook till falling apart. Add bottle of bbq sauce. Serve on buns or toast. Simple and easy, my kids make it a lot.

Dove breast with a jalapeno halve under bacon wrap on a mesquite grill.Portabella mushrooms stuffed with deer pan sausage and chunk pineapple wrapped in bacon.

-
Back