How to clean reusable cotton air filters, works amazing!

-

hw612

The Mopar Martian.
Reaction score
Ok so i noticed the other day my K&N filter on my DD(2005 corolla s) was really plugged and gross. so i went to o'reily to look at the K&N "recharge kits" i didnt really want to pay 17 bucks for only two cleanings. my brother mentioned he had heard of a trick from a friend. so i decided to pass up the kit and try this method...

You will need...
-Club soda. i used 3 liters, but its a small filter so you may need more...
-Oxy clean, the powdered kind!
-Bucket or some large container to do this.
-Air filter oil, i had some laying around for nitro rc cars. so you could get it at a hobby store, maybe you can buy it from a parts store? not sure why you have to oil it but whatever, i did.
-Hairdryer(optional)
-Old tooth brush or some sort of small brush nothing too rough.
-Dirty filter!

Pour your desired amount of club soda in your bucket, at least enough to submerge the filter. dump in your oxy clean i did 3 scoops for the 3 liters. Stir it up, its going to foam quite a bit. put your filter in the mixture and slosh it around for a minute or two and your going to see a ton of gross stuff come off of it. let it soak submerged in the mixture for like 10 minutes or however long you want. slosh it around again for good measure, discard your mixture and rinse the filter with HOT water going in between the "flaps with the tooth brush to make sure all of the dead bugs are gone. do a final rinse... wrap it up in a towel to get alot of the water out, then hit it with a hairdryer if you want or let it air dry for a few hours. just make sure its completely dry before you oil it. apply a nice liberal amout of oil to the filter, dont saturate it but put a good amount on there and work it into the cotton. wipe away excess oil and reinstall. now you have a really clean filter for just a few bucks!
:burnout:

if a staff member wants to sticky this that would be cool...

-
Back