how to id cast crank 340 flywheel

-

mikebee

now's the new later...
Reaction score
i pulled this 73 340 and 3 speed apart today and there's small holes drilled in the very outer edge...but no big ones like i expected.how do i id this?

casting number is 2264598

i didn't feel any vibrations when i ran the 340 so i think it's right but couldn't find anything definite.

i just don't want to sell or use this flywheel until i find out what it is.

yeah,i found that one but it doesn't tell me what it looks like.i read what mark nixon posted and that's what mine is ...i think.but it's so much different than the 360 flywheel i wasn't sure.i'll post a pic of the back and then maybe we can get to tha bottom of this mystery.

btw the first link didn't go anywhere.and to who ever... thanks for fixing my title!

oops. wrong pic. Sorry. I don't know how to remove it.

Attachments

• mopar_crankshafts.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 284
I have had them switched before and when you use a weighted flywheel for a cast crank on a forged internal balanced engine you shouldn't feel any vibrations or anything odd even though its not really right.

if you use a non weighted flywheel made for internal balance engine on a cast crank external balanced engine...it will be fine up to around 2000 RPMs and then it will vibrate like crazy ....when I did it ...it felt like it was going to vibrate the radio out of the dash .....scary stuff LOL

I understand why you want to properly ID though.

I fixed the first link so now it should work.

thanks...i had already found all of those before i posted a new thread tho.i just wanted a pic to compare mine to.i knew that the cc 340 didn't have as much weight as the 360,but i thought it would still have maybe 2 big holes drilled towards the center.

i think mine is for the cc 340.i posted a pic tomorrow.

I have had them switched before and when you use a weighted flywheel for a cast crank on a forged internal balanced engine you shouldn't feel any vibrations or anything odd even though its not really right.

if you use a non weighted flywheel made for internal balance engine on a cast crank external balanced engine...it will be fine up to around 2000 RPMs and then it will vibrate like crazy ....when I did it ...it felt like it was going to vibrate the radio out of the dash .....scary stuff LOL

I understand why you want to properly ID though.

yeah,iv'e ran em with neutral flywheels on cast crank and you can really feel it...especially on a 360.i ran this 340,but maybe not over 2 gs.

i think if it's right i'll keep it with the 340...it only has 60,000 miles on it.

all the small holes in one area is what makes me think it is for the cast crank 340

Attachments

• 2013-09-04 08.25.39.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 298
Look pretty close?

i think that might be the one.1 of my holes lines up where the one in ur pic is...so i guess the other 3 holes in mine are just to balance the flywheel.

thanks!

-
Back