Hurst Shifter

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the Hurst shifters and the regular shifters? I have a Hurst and a regular shifter and side by side they look the same.

Define "regular" shifter?

Other than the Inland shifters, all of the 833's came with Hurst shifters. Maybe not all the Hurst shifters are stamped as such, but they're all basically the same with minor differences in the shift levers for the different body styles.

Or are you talking about the shift handle itself? Those are pretty much the same except for body style, and whether or not they were a "slip in" or bolt in handle. Obviously, an E-body pistol grip has a shorter throw than a B body console car, but it wasn't designed as a short shifter, just needed the handle in a different spot.

From what i understand a "short throw shifter" doesn't really have to do with the handle, but the shifter itself

I didn't think that all of the OEM shifters were Hurst. I though the Hurst shifters were an upgrade from stock and only some cars came with them from the factory.

From what i understand a "short throw shifter" doesn't really have to do with the handle, but the shifter itself

Correct, that you wouldn't have to move the lever as far to change gears. But that means that it takes more effort to change gear to.

Correct, that you wouldn't have to move the lever as far to change gears. But that means that it takes more effort to change gear to.

True, a real short throw shifter has different internals that shorten the throw, at increased effort. BUT, shortening/lengthening the handle also changes the length of throw for the handle, and the effort. Bigger lever, less effort, longer travel.

I didn't think that all of the OEM shifters were Hurst. I though the Hurst shifters were an upgrade from stock and only some cars came with them from the factory.

Other than the years that got the Inland shifters, I think everything else was Hurst. I recall hearing that there were a few models that weren't stamped with the Hurst logo, but they still had the Hurst patent #'s.

As for an upgrade from stock, no. I have several Hurst shifters that came off of 833 OD transmissions. If trucks and F bodies got them, there wasn't anything special about them. :D

Also, check to make sure that you just didn't miss it. The shifters aren't stamped all that deep, it only takes a little bit of grime to cover the Hurst stamping and patent #'s.

-
Back