I am thinking about dipping my car

-

mismy69swinger

Reaction score
I was going to dip my car to strip everthing I have heard from 2 guys saying dont do it. whats the good the bad and the ugly over this? not far from me is a place called metel rehab it looked like a good ideal

I had a hood, deck lid and a donor tailpanel dipped and was real happy with the turnout. The parts have been in epoxy primer for a few years now and no adhesion probs.

I have seen pics of cars getting dipped and then dipped in E-coat.......sounds pretty cool

The good: dissolves rust and coats the metal in acid etch.

The bad: dissolves all the factory seam sealer, gets in between panels where you might not want it and never truly comes out of all the little hidey holes, making the neutralization step a touch and go procedure. If the acid isn't neutralized correctly it will just start more rust.

rememebr when you dip strip the complete car hood trunk lip doors and other parts you can't repaint parts you can't get to so they will go paintless think hard before you do something you may be sorry for

rememebr when you dip strip the complete car hood trunk lip doors and other parts you can't repaint parts you can't get to so they will go paintless think hard before you do something you may be sorry for

You can get primer coverage inside the hood and trunk inner structure......it's just a messy process. Cab areas and frame rails you are right.........

Like was alluded to.. Dipping a car is fine but if you can't re-dip it in a corrosion preventative (like the factory did) The car will totally rust out in very little time.

I've done it in the past and I would say DON"T do the body, fenders, doors, deck lids, hoods, etc are fine and will turn out great, but the body has places that you can't see not to mention get cleaned and primed.

I had a hood, deck lid and a donor tailpanel dipped and was real happy with the turnout. The parts have been in epoxy primer for a few years now and no adhesion probs.

I have seen pics of cars getting dipped and then dipped in E-coat.......sounds pretty cool

who can do E-coating?

-
Back