I blew a head gasket...

-

360D@rt

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I blew a head gasket tonight (white smoke billowing out of the passenger side exhaust pipe). The engine is (as far as I have been told) a stock bottom end recently rebuilt. I have a "mild cam", Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) and a Holly 670 DP. I also have Doug's headers and a full MSD ignition system. It's mated to a 904 with a shift kit and a few other upgrades (steels and clutches). It's always been a pretty snappy car and, not withstanding the smoke, still drives real well. I have a set of EQ heads on the shelf ready to go with a little bowl work and some mild port work. I also have a set of Crower 1.6 roller rockers. I don't want to dig into the bottom end of the engine yet because the budget doesn't allow it right now and there's nothing to indicate I absolutely have to right now. I am wondering what I would end up with for compression with just the EQ head swap and .039 head gaskets (suggestions more than welcome!). Also, what would be a good cam for this set up? The car is a street car, and I want to maintain drivability. I need a torque converter as well (I was thinking 2500 RPM) so while we're at it, bring on the suggestions in that department as well! I will be swapping the Performer for an Air Gap because my Performer won't bolt to the EQ's. Thanks in advance for all your input. It's greatly appreciated!
JE

Hey guys,
So I blew a head gasket tonight (white smoke billowing out of the passenger side exhaust pipe). The engine is (as far as I have been told) a stock bottom end recently rebuilt.

I don't want to dig into the bottom end of the engine yet because the budget doesn't allow it right now and there's nothing to indicate I absolutely have to right now.

Is the oil perfectly clean with no signs of moisture? You may have gotten lucky, but there's a reason why the gaskets failed? If you want to take a shot at it, then go for it. But personally, I wouldn't just bolt on the new heads & gaskets, along with a new cam and call it good.

Further research, once it's apart, may give you the ok, but I'm skeptical?

-
Back