Ideal HyperPak setup???

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
Greetings, all. I am new getting into the Mopar world, and don't really know much about them. In fact, I don't even have my 65 Barracuda yet. Have never even seen it, actually. I'm still waiting for the phone call to tell me to come pick it up. (Any day now....) I know it is a 225, 3 speed manual. That's about all. I've been reading through these forums for awhile now, and I am intrigued by the HyperPak setup. I've seen various threads about the individual components that make up this setup, but I have never seen a list detailing the exact parts required. Some people like the Clifford intakes, some prefer Offenhouser, and some like Aussie Speed. Some go for 2bbl, some like 4bbl. Some use stock exhaust manifolds (why?) and some go for headers so the engine can breathe properly. My question is this: What is the ideal HyperPak setup? I know it was originally offered back in the early 60s on the 170cu /sixes. What would the modern day equivalent be, and is it just bolt on parts (carb, intake, headers, etc.) or does it also include the cam, rollers, or whatever? Thanks in advance for the information. Also, if this information was covered previously, I apologize for not digging deeper. I apparently missed it.

Others will chime in, but I think the first learning step is terminology:
HyperPak was a factory performance package that consisted of their manifold, that was later sold to Clifford (if memory serves), headers, and larger carb. Legit HP parts are expensive and hard to find.

With that being said, there are a few different companies out there offering intake and exhaust upgrades. Clifford, Offenhauser, and AussieSpeed in the intake side, Hooker, Clifford, and some others in the headers, + any available 4 barrel carb of your choosing.

The ideal combo depends on you vehicle and your intended purpose for the car. Daily driver, Sunday special, Speed and performance? These will enable the /6 pros to make recommendation for parts and configurations that will work for your use.

Thanks for the input! I don't know yet what I really want to do with the car once I get it. I'm not really a speed demon. On the other hand, I really don't want to get smoked at a green light by granny in her little 1982 Honda Civic. (My wife is gonna kill me if she reads this. She used to have an 82 Civic and loved it) I like the idea of a sleeper. Decent driver, but able to go balls to the wall if needed. Ya know what I mean?

HyperPak was a factory performance package that consisted of their manifold, that was later sold to Clifford (if memory serves), headers, and larger carb.

Not quite right. The Hyper Pak was a parts kit officially available in '60 and '61 from any dealer parts counter -- not ever factory installed. See here for info on what the kit included. Noted slant-6 guru Doug Dutra reproduced the Hyper Pak intake manifold in the mid-late 1990s or so, and sold several versions of the repro intake (big port, small port, 2bbl, 4bbl). Eventually Doug sold the patterns to Clifford; once Clifford got their hands on the patterns the casting quality dropped to match Clifford's pathetic customer "service" (take your money and not send your parts for months, if at all...no communication...etc.)

there are a few different companies out there offering intake and exhaust upgrades.

Lots of them, actually. See here.

Note that the Hyper Pak long-ram intake is certainly visually impressive, but for most people doing most builds, it's not a very good choice. Don't pick parts by how they look or whether they sound cool, that's backwards. First step isn't picking parts, it's figuring out exactly what you want the car to do. Once you've listed out your concrete goals for the car's performance, then figure out your budget, then start asking for parts recommendations. Otherwise you'll likely wind up with a very expensive, very disappointing result.

(and don't forget the more boring but more important upgrades; see here).

Dan I have to say that reading your posts is dangerous addiction. They are fantastic and there are so many links that I think I just had to close ten different windows that I had open. Thank you for being so thorough for us newbies.

I have some experience with the Dutra Hyper Pack. And Dutra dual exhaust/split manifolds.

I built a 9.5:1 compression '73 225 slant six for a friend using the Hyper Pack.
The cam is the old MP 268 dur-.460" solid cam, MP windage tray, RAS roller rockers at 1.55 ratio, '77 taper seat plug head milled .090" and fitted with 1.72" and 1.50" s/s 1 pc valves, 340 valve springs, moly retainers and machined locks.
Heads are 44 cc's.

The intake does have an adapter with a divider plate and an 800 cfm ThermoQuad carb I built and jetted to the engine specs.

Trans is a 904 with Turbo Action reverse man valve body and a 2,200 stall converter. Rear is an 8.25 with 3.23 gears.

The car is fun to drive and has excellent road manners and nice idle too.
But the intake acts more like a typical single plane intake(which it is)and is hard to get good even fuel distribution. Would be a good idea to do the mods suggested in the MP engine book to the plenum floor near the beginning of the runners.

There is a lot of jetting and tuning to be done but the eye-candy factor is topps, David.

Attachments

• 225tq.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,017
-
Back