Identifying a Carter Carb

-

Reaction score
I have a couple of what I believe are the Super six carbs BBD. Id like to identify them specifically for what model and year vehicle they were originally calibrated for.

Does anyone have an old Carter carb book that will do this?

Looking on-line I see information too general. Kits being sold for the slant six versions along with the V-8 version of this carb.

Only one of the carbs had the small metal tag still attached to the float bowl and from what I have read that may be the only carb I can positively identify unless I am mistaken.

Shown below are the carbs and the metal tag.

From what I have read these are super six carbs versus the 318 carbs because there are no holes drilled thru the throttle plates.

Does everyone agree that is one positive way to identify these carbs as slant six carbs? Id like to get confirmation so that I can keep my eyes open for other units whilst I am out and about.

Below are the two carbs in question.

The bodies are marked 2543 and the other 2681. The small metal tag which came off the carb with the screw lying next to it reads 8137S

Thanks for any help in identifying these.

Attachments

• Picture 483.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Picture 485.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture 486.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Picture 484.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 120
The dead giveway that they are both Super Six carbs is the curved PCV port at the rear of the baseplate. That is because the PCV on the Slant is to the passenger side of the carb where on a V8 it's on the driver side.

The tag corresponds to a 78-79 application. I feel you would be safe using a kit for those years on both carbs. Ask for a kit for a 1978 Plymouth Volare Slant Six 2bbl.

only one is a a 73+ carb due to the bowl vent on the one carb for the charcoal canister

They both are, the tube just fell out of one of them. That said, some later BBD carbs didn't have provisions for a charcoal canister port. They stopped using low-top BBD carbs somewhere around '73.

The dead giveway that they are both Super Six carbs is the curved PCV port at the rear of the baseplate. That is because the PCV on the Slant is to the passenger side of the carb where on a V8 it's on the driver side.

The tag corresponds to a 78-79 application. I feel you would be safe using a kit for those years on both carbs. Ask for a kit for a 1978 Plymouth Volare Slant Six 2bbl.
I did not have any clue on the PVC thing but of course makes sense, thanks.

Id like to identify the carbs more closely if possible, Id like to know if either was truck and so set up for truck.

I have an 86 slant in my truck and Id like to have the internals of the carb set up for top efficiency to work with my heavy vehicle.

-
Back