In search of last owner of a tan 72 duster from MI

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a member for 4 years now...been building the duster this whole time. And still have yet to find any info on who the last owner was and I would be kind of curious to find out who it was and maybe get a little more history on the car.

When I got it...it was honey dew gold (desert storm tan if you ask me haha),had ralleys all the way around,and had gold interior (carpet,dash,plastics,bench seat with fold down center arm rest,tan door metals with black door panels).

quarter panels were rusty,tail panel was rusty,had a few bumps and bruises, had a mopar license plate on the front of it,at some point in the past someone had cut out the A/C firewall and welded in one from a non A/C car.

It had a "Mopars at the pond" plaque stuck to the drivers side sun visor from I believe 2004, It had a 3" spring relocation done and on the spring boxes someone had welded in a signature that said " KH 2004".

It had no engine or transmission in it. I picked it up in Jackson MI. in 2009.

I was told that at one point it had a pretty powerful setup in it and that it pulled the front wheels....when I first got it there was an outward facing crease in the drivers side front half of the rear quarter panel as if it flexed hard under alot of power.

Just trying to see if maybe someone here was the previous owner or had seen the car before and if maybe I can put some leads together to find the last owner and find some history on the car and to show what I have turned the car into now ( still not quite done...but close).

thanks guys...here are some pics from when I got it and some of it now.

That should be enough to give you an idea. I literally have THOUSANDS of pictures of the car in my build thread if anyone is interested in checking out the build.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Don't you have any paperwork from when you bought it? Should have their name somewhere on it. Or did you buy from a dealer or some other third party? Good luck, and a great transformation!

Great before & after pics!! You could try posting in this forum too...Good Luck :cheers:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Dang, I can't believe I never noticed there was a lost and found section lol. Sorry I missed that. If you could move this thread over to that section for me I would appreciate it. And thanks.

Don't you have any paperwork from when you bought it? Should have their name somewhere on it. Or did you buy from a dealer or some other third party? Good luck, and a great transformation!

Its a loooooong story.

I went through some crap when I first got the car. But basically I got it from some kid that was just letting the car sit and rot behind his garage ....he was getting ready to cannibalize the car for parts for another duster that he had.

When I bought it the kid didnt even want to sell me the car whole.....he wanted to yank a bunch of the parts off it and sell it to me for a lower price but I finally talked him out of it and got the car in one piece.

The kid didnt know anything about the car other than his estranged dad got it for him for parts from a guy he knew that was somewhere in michigan I believe.

as to if this guy was the guy that actually did some stuff to the car and drove and enjoyed it at one point?....I don't know?.....for all I know he was just another person on the list of people who had the car sitting in a back yard that was going to part it out. all I know is that someone in 2004 apparently had did some work on it and drove it and must have took some sort of pride in it....and thats the person (or even previous owners) that id really like to find.

oh and also.....When I first got the car (and even currently still have it on the car) there was a AAA insurance sticker ( I believe it has a picture of a bell on it if I remember correctly) on one of the pop out side windows. That says AAA of california .

so at some point in its life it spent some years in california.

and according to the fender tag and vin decodes (I dont have them on hand at the moment but ill try to grab them soon and post them to aide in the search hopefully)....but it showed it originally was honey dew gold, Had the gold duster package,gold striping,black body side molding,gold snake skin vinyl top,no scoops or spoiler or anything,a/c car,bench seat,auto on the column,318, I believe the vinyl top was not a full top but a canopy style top.

so theres a bit more info of what it could have looked like when it first came off the line.

could have spent the better part of its years in california....not sure.

The underbody of the car was rock solid, only real rust was in quarter panels and tail panel.....so I cant assume it had been in michigan for more than 10 years or so....but I could be wrong.

If you know some one that can run the vin# they can tell you the previous owner of the car, but you really need to know someone that can do that for you,
It's not a easy task, DMV may be able to

When I first got the car there was some issues with getting the title. Long story short .... I ended up have to take the vin # to the police station and have the numbers ran to make sure the car was not stolen, did this at secretary of state as well. All came back clean and clear and I was able to get things straightened out.

I asked both the secretary of state and the sheriff if they could tell me the name of any previously registered owners and they said that it was against the law to disclose people's identity.

So that's that.

I'm not sure what/if a car fax report would show?. I don't want to waste the money to find out it doesn't explain anything at all. Unless someone here has a carfax monthly subscription deal and is willing to run the vin for me and send me the info?

We were told that that colour, like ours, is called fawn..funny, we are following you with the same colour..

We were told that that colour, like ours, is called fawn..funny, we are following you with the same colour..

Lol nice coinsidence.

I ran the fender tag and the paint code is definitely called honey dew gold

This is the window sticker from the rear quarter window that I mentioned.

null_zpsbeb8a138.jpg

Curious of what time frame those stickers were issued in to give me an idea of when it lived in California?

bring this to the top again. maybe someone new will run acrossed this and know something?....slim chance...but maybe lol

-
Back