Indexing

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys index your plugs and at what area of performance does it make a real difference.

Mine are indexed off center toward the exhaust valve.
Probably worth 2-5 hp in my case being the sb heads have the plug angled to the exhaust valve already which is ideal.

How do you do yours? different spacers under the plugs or carefully crush the aluminum washers till correct on initial installation?

Well I had about 12 spark plugs including the ones in the car, so what I did was with a marker draw a line on the plug marking where the open side of the electrode was[or 180 to the strap] then with all plugs out of the motor, [so to have many available] started screwing them in till I could get'em one at a time to end up where I wanted them to point
[off center to the exhaust valve] that way eventually you will get a plug that lines right up given it's in the right hole with out washers.

So outta 12 plugs I got them all indexed with no washers.

All of the plugs and threaded holes were/are clocked different when tapped/dyed.

thanks ,makes sense. Im gonna do this on my new motor. As much as i,ve spent i want every horse. I wonder how common this is with non racers

actually with the powerful ignition systems we have now, indexing the plugs isn't the big deal it used to be, but i guess it can't hurt anything.

direction of initial flame travel does make a difference. top fuel cars use indexing as a tuning tool

for any racing app. indexing is recommended, i just indexed mine w/ the heads off.

-
Back