Is a Duster and Dart door swap possible?

-
Reaction score
Can I put 73' Dart doors on a 70' Duster? I know the interior panels won't work. Inside door handles are in a different place - I really don't care about that. Got someone to make new interior. Will the outside body lines still match up? Are the hinges and door latches in the same location? Basically - Will it work? LOL. Anyone ever done this? Thanks

Dart Sport will work. Regular Dodge Dart (i.e.: Swinger, Valiant, etc.) window contours are different than Duster/Demon/Dart Sport and won't fit the roof/a-pillar shape.

1973 doors have unique window mounting locations inside so if you need to replace the glass, you'll need 1973 glass. 1973 doors are also heavier than 1970 because they have side crash beams in them.

The door skins are identical, 67-76. Same length, same body lines. The shells are almost identical. They started out the same, same stamped part. But they don't end up that way.

On the earlier Dart doors with the wing vent windows the glass isn't the only part that's different, the regulators and all the hardware get mounted in a completely different way compared to the 70-72 Demon/Duster doors and there are tabs and supports spot welded into the doors that would have to change to swap the regulators and hardware. All the info, pictures of the differences etc are here Demon door?? Which others fit?

That said, all my info was for the pre-73 doors. I know on the 74-76 doors a lot more interchanges, it's probably easier. '73 is one year only hardware, and it's totally different than 74, so that would still be work.

What I don’t know for sure is whether or not you could just swap out the glass on a ‘73 Dart door with a ‘73 Duster door. The ‘73 Dart door doesn’t have a wing vent like the earlier doors, so the tabs and brackets that are in the way of the 1 piece window glass on a ‘72 and down dart door wouldn’t be there on a ‘73+ door.

Dart Sport will work. Regular Dodge Dart (i.e.: Swinger, Valiant, etc.) window contours are different than Duster/Demon/Dart Sport and won't fit the roof/a-pillar shape.

1973 doors have unique window mounting locations inside so if you need to replace the glass, you'll need 1973 glass. 1973 doors are also heavier than 1970 because they have side crash beams in them.
Hey, thank you very much. Just so I'm getting it correct... The 73' Dart swinger doors won't work on the 70' Duster because the glass wont fit the pilar or roof line? Thanks

Hey, thank you very much. Just so I'm getting it correct... The 73' Dart swinger doors won't work on the 70' Duster because the glass wont fit the pilar or roof line? Thanks

Yeah the Dart window won’t fit the Duster at all. The Dusters roof line is totally different and there’s a bunch of curvature on the glass too.

What I don’t know is if you can just use duster glass or maybe duster glass with a duster regulator in that same door just because it’s a ‘73. The earlier dart doors don’t work mostly because of the wing vent provisions inside the door.

The door skins are identical, 67-76. Same length, same body lines. The shells are almost identical. They started out the same, same stamped part. But they don't end up that way.

On the earlier Dart doors with the wing vent windows the glass isn't the only part that's different, the regulators and all the hardware get mounted in a completely different way compared to the 70-72 Demon/Duster doors and there are tabs and supports spot welded into the doors that would have to change to swap the regulators and hardware. All the info, pictures of the differences etc are here Demon door?? Which others fit?

That said, all my info was for the pre-73 doors. I know on the 74-76 doors a lot more interchanges, it's probably easier. '73 is one year only hardware, and it's totally different than 74, so that would still be work.

What I don’t know for sure is whether or not you could just swap out the glass on a ‘73 Dart door with a ‘73 Duster door. The ‘73 Dart door doesn’t have a wing vent like the earlier doors, so the tabs and brackets that are in the way of the 1 piece window glass on a ‘72 and down dart door wouldn’t be there on a ‘73+

What I don’t know for sure is whether or not you could just swap out the glass on a ‘73 Dart door with a ‘73 Duster door. The ‘73 Dart door doesn’t have a wing vent like the earlier doors, so the tabs and brackets that are in the way of the 1 piece window glass on a ‘72 and down dart door wouldn’t be there on a ‘73+ door.
Thank you for taking time to write and help me. I appreciate it very much.

Yeah the Dart window won’t fit the Duster at all. The Dusters roof line is totally different and there’s a bunch of curvature on the glass too.

What I don’t know is if you can just use duster glass or maybe duster glass with a duster regulator in that same door just because it’s a ‘73. The earlier dart doors don’t work mostly because of the wing vent provisions inside the door.
Really appreciate you man. I think I'll just keep the doors that are on it now and fix them. Mine are ok - but the outside door handle doesn't work (it used to work) on one side and the other side bounces back open when I close it. Then it latches the second time I close it. Every time. It's weird. Thanks again.

Really appreciate you man. I think I'll just keep the doors that are on it now and fix them. Mine are ok - but the outside door handle doesn't work (it used to work) on one side and the other side bounces back open when I close it. Then it latches the second time I close it. Every time. It's weird. Thanks again.

That just sounds like door linkage and adjustment stuff, no reason to swap the doors for that.

-
Back