Is it worth replacing Kelsey Hayes 4 piston

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
calipers with these SSBC A199 calipers ? One of the calipers seems stuck , pad wore and now disk needs replacing , have 2 spare K H calipers that need rebuild as well , will keep them for when , if I sell the cars .

bought one set of slotted dimpled rotors and one stock set of rotors($56.00 ) , always good to have spare rotors.

So buy SSB , Summit or use K H calipers /
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A199/

or these summit brand
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-BK189/

calipers with these SSBC A199 calipers ? One of the calipers seems stuck , pad wore and now disk needs replacing , have 2 spare K H calipers that need rebuild as well , will keep them for when , if I sell the cars .

bought one set of slotted dimpled rotors and one stock set of rotors($56.00 ) , always good to have spare rotors.

So buy SSB , Summit or use K H calipers /
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A199/

or these summit brand
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-BK189/

Those prices are outrageous.

If you have a factory - more original type car, you would be wise to just go to ROCK AUTO's website and purchase rebuilt K-H calipers, for less than 1/2 price, compared to what you posted.

Centric, Raybestos, Wagner and Cardone all sell rebuilt K-H calipers - for a lot less than what you posted.

Also, go to the Moparts website (www.moparts.com) and get the ROck Auto additional discount code for May, and you will save $$$.

Hope this helps...

without core they want 120 -150.00 per caliper , that's 300.00 a set for castrated iron calipers . I like the centric (zinc plated () , but they show 73 single piston caliper when you click info , already had wrong parts sent from rock , shipping makes it non returnable if wrong part is delivered so don't want to take a chance .
For the extra 100.00 just wondering if the lighter weight calipers is worth it ?

So if money were not a concern would you get the SSBC calipers , is the weight saving worth it , I'm sure performance of calipers is on par with each other , but 20lbs is 20 lbs .adds up . Headers , alu intake , alu wheels drops about 100 lbs off the car

without core they want 120 -150.00 per caliper , that's 300.00 a set for castrated iron calipers . I like the centric (zinc plated () , but they show 73 single piston caliper when you click info , already had wrong parts sent from rock , shipping makes it non returnable if wrong part is delivered so don't want to take a chance .
For the extra 100.00 just wondering if the lighter weight calipers is worth it ?

So if money were not a concern would you get the SSBC calipers , is the weight saving worth it , I'm sure performance of calipers is on par with each other , but 20lbs is 20 lbs .adds up . Headers , alu intake , alu wheels drops about 100 lbs off the car

BEFORE you apply the ROCK AUTO discount code, the prices for remaned calipers for a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 (the same caliper is used for all 1965 - 72 Abodies with factory K-H disc brakes), the prices are as follows:

RAYBESTOS Part # FRC4176 Professional Grade; Friction Ready - Pads Not Included, Remanufactured; Bore Size=1.64" Inlet Thread=3/8X24 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24
4 Piston Calipers; Front Left

$61.79 $56.25 $118.04
Add to Cart
RAYBESTOS Part # FRC4175 Professional Grade; Friction Ready - Pads Not Included, Remanufactured
4 Piston Calipers; Front Right

$61.79 $56.25 $118.04
Add to Cart
CENTRIC Part # 14163008 Premium Semi-Loaded Caliper
Front Disc brakes; Front Left

$48.79 $75.00 $123.79
Add to Cart
CENTRIC Part # 14163007 Premium Semi-Loaded Caliper
Front Disc brakes; Front Right

$48.79 $75.00 $123.79
Add to Cart
A-1 CARDONE Part # 184407 Reman. Caliper w/Installation Hardware
with Metal Piston; with Kelsey Hayes Original Caliper; 4 Piston; Front Left

$121.79 $30.00 $151.79
Add to Cart
A-1 CARDONE Part # 184406 Reman. Caliper w/Installation Hardware
with Metal Piston; with Kelsey Hayes Original Caliper; 4 Piston; Front Right

$121.79 $30.00 $151.79
Add to Cart
NASTRA Part # 114407 Semi-Loaded; Reman
Front; 4 Piston Caliper; Left

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 10 business days
$125.79 $37.00 $162.79
Add to Cart
Loaded
RAYBESTOS Part # RC4175 Professional Grade; Loaded - Pads Included, Remanufactured; Bore Size=1.64" Inlet Thread=3/8X24 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24
Organic; 4 Piston Calipers; Front Right

$93.79 $56.25 $150.04
Add to Cart
RAYBESTOS Part # RC4176 Professional Grade; Loaded - Pads Included, Remanufactured; Bore Size=1.64" Inlet Thread=3/8X24 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24
Organic; 4 Piston Calipers; Front Left

$95.79 $56.25 $152.04

To summarize: You can buy the RAYBESTOS remaned calipers for your car, BEFORE you take the ROCK AUTO discount, at $61 per calipers, sans core charge (send in your old calipers as cores), or you can buy the Centric calipers for $48.

The ROCK AUTO discount code lowers these prices.

At $48 / caliper with a warranty, that's a really good deal, and remember, you will receive a lower price just by applying the Rock Auto discount code.

As far as weight is concerned, you will have to spend a LOT MORE, to lower your suspension / brake setup overall unsprung weight.

Stick with the factory setup if you are keeping the car original to factory specs, otherwise if you are just building a hot rod, do whatever your wallet will permit.

Is the performance any better with SSBC calipers ? If not it's not worth it ,

Is the performance any better with SSBC calipers ? If not it's not worth it ,

The only performance change you will see using those SSBC calipers is a severe WALLET weight loss.

The disc brake effective swept area is the SAME - so you will not improve your braking stopping distance, just swapping in the SSBC calipers.

But you will lighten your wallet!

For those of us in the "Rust Belt" SSBC are a good investment, as winter storing tends to rust the cast iron calipers and then seize.
I'm looking for rebuild kits myself, but only the seals and clips. I will likely send the pistons out for plating, as I want to keep the Kelsey Hayes calipers for the originality.

Took your advise , ordered the centric calipers ,like that they are zinc coated . Might keep them looking new longer , at least I hope so .
Now just hope rock get the right parts to me . Last time they sent the wrong part .
How hard is it to rebuild these calipers ? I have 2 spares , now 4 spares . Anyone here powder coat the calipers , what's the cost ?

For those of us in the "Rust Belt" SSBC are a good investment, as winter storing tends to rust the cast iron calipers and then seize.
I'm looking for rebuild kits myself, but only the seals and clips. I will likely send the pistons out for plating, as I want to keep the Kelsey Hayes calipers for the originality.
Brake fluid absorbs water , I change it every year cuts down on seized calipers . Just bad luck that one of mine seized , that or the owner previous did not change brake fluid often enough . First seized caliper in 20 years ,

Took your advise , ordered the centric calipers ,like that they are zinc coated . Might keep them looking new longer , at least I hope so .
Now just hope rock get the right parts to me . Last time they sent the wrong part .
How hard is it to rebuild these calipers ? I have 2 spares , now 4 spares . Anyone here powder coat the calipers , what's the cost ?

Thanks for the plug Terry! :-D

jerry6, they're on my Price List for $30.00. If you're interested in getting them done sooner than later, I'm having an Anniversary Special through June 30.

Have to check shipping costs , that's the killer , plus border duties a possibility . not sure it would be worth it . If I were state side I would do it , looks like you do good work .

Years ago I got tired of the 4 piston brakes seizing up from sitting in the garage so I replaced them with calipers I got from Stainless Steel Brake in New York. At the time they were $150 each. They had SS pistons, SS plated body and a SS line. My have SS pad retaining spring/clip but I'm not sure without looking. It was one of the best things I spent money on for the Dart the whole time I've had it. Never a problem with them since I did this many years ago.

mopar action has info on calipers,oct 2011,rockauto list as remans ,but are new ,so mopar action said.rockauto part # are 18-4406 [ r/s ] and 18-4407 [l/s ]

The hardest part I have found is getting the pistons out. there is some tricks online. The best seems to use the hydralic brake system to pop them out. You can remove pads and reinstalling caliper on rotor or using a block of wood in between pistons where caliper normally is. Sorry I don't remember specifics but I'm sure you could find them with google search.

The problem I found on one set I did was all the pistons were bad.Chrome was flaking and they needed to be replaced so afer spending over $100 to replace the 8 pistons and then buying the seals. I think I would have been money ahead buying rebuilt calipers with new lines and hardware.

Upgrading to the stainless pistons would be money well spent in my book. The pistons I bought from rock auto were like $12ea after shipping. The chrome plated on one piston was peeling right out of the box.

mopar action has info on calipers,oct 2011,rockauto list as remans ,but are new ,so mopar action said.rockauto part # are 18-4406 [ r/s ] and 18-4407 [l/s ]

wish I would have known , bought the Centric calipers . At least they work and look good , with the zinc coating they should stay silverish instead of rust brown like the ones I took off . Shold have looked for the SS piston remanufactured ones , oh well , I change the fluid every year , they should last .

-
Back