Is this compressor good enough???

-

soul60s

Reaction score
This is one of the compressors we have. The other is a little bigger but not much. Will this work for either sandblasting or painting?
It's a Rol-Air
Model: 6715K17
Standard feature motor description:
1.5 HP, 1725 RPM, Open Drip-Proof,
115/230 Volt, 60 Hz,
Ball Bearings,
Overload Protection with Manual Reset.

Standard feature pump description: Heavy-Duty, Single Stage, Cast-Iron Twin Cylinders, Ball Bearings, Splash Lubricated, Hardened Steel Valve Plates with Swedish Lamellar Reed Valves and Aluminum Alloy Connecting Rods with Automotive-Style Inserts, Multi-Finned 11" Flywheel, and Oil Sight Gauge.

HP: 1.5
Tank Capacity: 9 Gallons
Dimension: 46" Long x 27" Wide x 28" High
Performance: 10.1 Cu. Ft. Displaced, 6.9 Cu. Ft. Free Air at 100 PSI
Shipping Weight: 190 lbs.

Joanne:happy10:

For sandblasting you need something in the 10-15CFM @ 90 psi range to keep up. The tank is way too small as well.

You'll be cycling that compressor constantly with any extended sandblasting duty IMHO.

Can you do it, yes. Will you be waiting for the compressor to catch up and provide decent pressure, yes. DAMHIK... :sad1:

Lets put it this way.I have a 60 gallon porter cable with twin cylinders.It's a single stage.The most important thing is air volume or cfm.Second is tank sizeYour compressor may put out good volume but if the tank is draining constantly because it's too small,you will overheat and burn out the motor or cynlinder head or both in short order.Ideally you want about 50% cycle duty,so the motor of the compressor is running no more than half the time you are using air.You can get away with the compressor running more than that if it's not for extended periods of time.Helps a lot if the compressor has abundant air circulation to cool it off as well.My shop is tiny so it tends to get VERY hot in summer.I resolved this by installing a large bathroom cieling fan over the compressor.Also had to cut run time down to allow for cooling,but thats another novel....

Thanks Guys. I am so glad that I can get help here. We just got back from HF. I was looking at their compressors. One was 3hp and 7.5 cfm @ 90psi. I was trying to remember what I read on here and thought it might be too small. Today, I am learning about air compressors. Every day I learn something new. Last night, it was glued in floor pans. I take about a dozen mopar magazines to bed with me. Didn't get to sleep until 3 am. Husband slept with no problem. Ha. I have taken on a huge job and I know that but I am soooo enjoying learning from this. I have always wanted to do this stuff. Funny, I tend to dive head first into everything. But, I take on nothing that I don't think I can handle.

Glad you guys are here.

Joanne

-
Back