issues after swapping valve body and shifter, 727

-

SR*77

Reaction score
I had a shop recently replace a manual reverse valve body and B&M shifter and install a Turbo Action Cheetah forward manual/automatic valve body and a American Shifter. I noticed that the gear selection is really tight but also it seems like I only have either D and 2 or 1 and 2. When out cruising around I would be at about 2000 rpm going 40-45 (not sure on speed, need correct speedometer gear, not hooked up right now), so I'm assuming that I have D and 2, I'm not familiar with the shift points on a 727.
I also do not have the kickdown hooked up, when the last owner had the reverse manual, it looks like he chucked the kickdown linkage assembly on the trans.So I'm on the hunt now for one.

Any thoughts on the next step?

the reverse valve body does not require kickdown does the forward one?

I believe if it's labeled "forward/automatic" it does. If it were just forward manual it doesn't.

To the OP- Since you didn't change gears in the rearend the engine should spin the same rpm down the road in high gear that it spun with the other valve body. Does it seem like it's doing that, or is it revving real hard down the hwy? That'll give you an idea if it's getting into high gear or not. The next step is to verify the shifter is adjusted and working properly. If it is you should be able to feel it shift through all the gears from low up to park. If not repair what's causing it not to shift through the gears.

And don't drive it much at all if in fact your valve body requires the throttle pressure linkage to be hooked up or you'll cook that trans in a big hurry. If you can't find stock linkage Lokar makes a cable system that works real good. Probably won't cost any more than stock parts too cause original stuff isn't always very cheap.

Thanks for the replies, the oem linkage off the trans for the kick down is gone. I do have the lokar kick down cable but there is nothing on the trans for it to hook up to. Thats my issue right now. I did find one on ebay that I think will work, I'll post a link later tonight for some input as to whether this will indeed work.
Its the only kick down lever assembly I've been able to find.

Also I think I have D 2 1, I think the gear selections are so close that I was skipping over D and going into 2. Testing out my theory tomorrow.

Ok. There were a couple different length levers used. The standard car unit has holes about 1-3/4" center to center if I remember right. If the one on E-bay doesn't work out let me know as I should have one in the junk box.

"And don't drive it much at all if in fact your valve body requires the throttle pressure linkage to be hooked up or you'll cook that trans in a big hurry. "

If this valve body shifts automatically, you need the kick down linkage!!! Without it you are running the trans with insufficient line pressure leading to slipping clutches and a fried trans. The Valve body that you picked, is by the way the best street valve body made for a 727, IMO. I've had one in my 340 Dart since 1983, through 2 rebuilds (and on 2 other Darts). It should shift hard and positive, enough so that it breaks both back tires loose on the 1-2 shift on dry pavement with a sure grip! Get that kickdown linkage on and adjusted correctly right away!!!

Yeah its parked for now, I really wanted to take it out the weekend but I've read up alot from other sites that say the throttle valve lever, (kick down) is esential to the way the 727 shifts.
Here is a pic of the ebay listing,
$T2eC16V,!y8E9s2fjtksBQbRo2)zY!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16Z,!yEE9s5jGJyyBQbRo9tz6w~~60_57.JPG

again I need the throttle valve lever, I aint too proud to beg I'll take used ones if they are available. The ebay listing is the only thing I found.

Does anybody have a pic of one or how it should look like on a trans.?

I found this page:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=532987&ukey_product=4242504

it has parts for a 727 from a 87 Jeep Wagoneer, do you guys think it will work in a 72 727?
000009CA.jpg

Yeah its parked for now, I really wanted to take it out the weekend but I've read up a lot from other sites that say the throttle valve lever, (kick down) is essential to the way the 727 shifts.

Essential? It's a must have, without the throttle pressure linkage you'll burn that puppy up in a hurry.

may have a throttle lever, went to the local junk yard and went on the hunt. they only stock late model cars, late 80's up.
I found a full size ram van that looked similar to the older 727 setup. I did notice that the end of the throttle lever had a ball on the end and a plastic clip that snapped on top of the ball for the connection so I will have to drill it out, hope this works, but with a $2 investment and some grease under the nails, if it doesnt work then no biggie cross your fingers kiddos

well it looks like the throttle valve lever (kickdown arm) didnt really change that much throughout the life of the 727, I pulled one off of a mid 90's Ram van, I had to make a minor modification to it. they changed the way the kickdown cable attaches to the arm. The newer models have a ball on the end of the arm instead of a hole. So I locked it in the vice sprayed some wd on it and drilled out the bottom side of the arm to get the ball out.
Drilled it out enough to where I could just take some pliers and just pull the ball off the arm and then make the hole a little bigger for the lokar cable end.

everything is installed and working, however I did notice the shifter, when going from park to reverse you have a tendency to slip past reverse as you switch gears and end up in neutral. Also 1st to 2nd gives you a good lump when shifting under light throttle, if you get on it it shifts real smooth.

-
Back