IT guys, please help. Somehow I cought a virus

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Well, as several of you know. My computer was stolen a little wile ago. Well it was recovered and I have been using it with no problems for the last few days until tonight. Now all the sudden it is trying to get me to buy AV security Suite and keeps popping up all sorts of warnings. I have been looking online for ways to get rid of it and I found a website that gives you instructions, but I am a little worried about it too. That website is geekpolice.net. Have any of you ever heard of them? Are they trusted? Anyway. I am a little upset about this as nothing really works. I can't open I-tunes, I can't do allot of things. Lucky for me I did happen to find a way that will let me serf the net, but I get tons of warnings. Anyway, here is a link to the instructions to get rid of the problem.

http://www.geekpolice.net/malware-r...ve-av-security-suite-removal-guide-t21929.htm

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

download AVG free addition, ive had it and have had no problems, it should help. is there any program that is installed on your computer that you dont remember putting on their yourself, my buddy had a antivirus program that it self was a virus, he didnt bother uninstalling it because he didnt know any better lol.

first install this and run the virus scan, it should have a lot of stuff show up seeing how you have ad ware problems. if you are still having problems PM me.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

Thanks,

The virus wont let me open it though. I am getting a bit frustrated and really need to hit the sack. I guess I will mess with it tomorrow. :(

oh man,i just fought this thing last week.What AV Security is is a rogue malware that makes fake pop ups telling you are infected to scare you into buying it,therefore ripping you off.If you open a program,it will tell you so and so file is infected do you want to open,just click yes and ignore the warnings.If you can get online,download Malwarebytes Anti Malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.phpupdate it and let it run.It may take a couple of times to clean out the nasties.You might also want to try it in Windows Safe Mode.If you find you cannot connect to the internet afterwards,chck your internet properties and make sure its not set at proxy settings.Also,download Hijack This http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/install,and click Analyze.If you see these entries,delete them.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsoft
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsuite
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsoft
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsuite
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download "RunInvalidSignatures" = "1"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter "Enabled" = "0"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "ProxyOverride" = ""
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "ProxyServer" = "http=127.0.0.1:1041"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations "LowRiskFileTypes" = ".exe"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments "SaveZoneInformation" = "1"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "<random>"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "<random>"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "ProxyEnable" = "1"

Hope this helps:cheers:

Check in your Internet Explorer tools, go to internet options, click on the connections tab, then click LAN settings and see if the malware set your computer to proxy settings. It did it to mine. If so, unclick it. Try again. Then download malwarebytes, better than AVG. It went right past my AVG and locked me up.

Malwarebytes is the best free option out there.try booting up in safe mode to open it up.?

Good call about safe mode, Daredevil. Do it in safe mode with networking. Also after all is said and done, install Mozilla Firefox so you have backup internet access.

avg is a good free scanner....I worked on computers for 8 years so normally when I get a virus I don't screw around with anti-virus software...I just completely erase my computer and start from scratch with a fresh copy of windows....BUT before you go getting ahead of yourself there is a VERY simple step you should try first to see if it fix's your problem.

not sure which version of windows you are running but normally if you go to start,programs,accessories,system tools you can click on the "system restore" option...... it will give you the choice of choosing to what date in which you wouldl ike to restore to.

so lets say you know your computer ran good on febuary 1st of 2010 and there is an option to restore to that date......click that and follow the on screen step by step guide and let the computer do its thing.....the computer will reboot and all should be well.

its sounds like a "wuss" of a virus so I am sure a system restore will fix the problem.....more hard core virus's require going into the depths of the hard drives and deleting currupted files and use of anti virus software and sometimes a reinstall of the operating system.

hope that helps ya out

Thanks for the info guys. When I get home from work, I will try a few things. I am running windows 7. The virus won't let me restore my computer. It stops me from opening pretty much anything. I have firefox and it didn't seem to effect it other than giving me pop ups. Explorer on the other hand, it's worthless right now. I really don't know much about computers, but hopefully I won't screw it up to bad. I did notice when I was researching the virus, it seems that it got allot of people in the last week. Maybe they are really pushing it or something.

Thanks again, jeremy

What everyone has said is pretty much correct Jeremy. The malware has been known to come from a lot of social networking sites... like Facebook.
It will reset the proxy settings as they said. Just get in and "uncheck" that. you should be able to access IE again after that. Get someone with a clean machine to download Malwarebytes from C-net onto a jump drive. Pull your internet off. Use the jump drive and load the Malwarebytes onto your system and let it run. It should take care of most if not all your problems. Sometimes though... the program rewrites some registry so when you go to look up a site like FABO it will bring up Geico or something else.... thats when it gets tougher. Hopefully you wont have this prob. This is the most common of the malwares out there right now. It has infected thousands. Once up and running, go into C-net and download the free version of AVG. Run both Malwarebytes and AVG once a week if your on the net a lot. Also before you run them make sure to check them to see if they have updates (which you will find in each of their programs) Its not a sure thing that it will keep it from coming back, but its good medicine for preventing. Oh.. and stay off **** sites.

-RPM

As I stated, look into what I said to do. I also could not go into System restore, could not look into my msconfig, nor would it allow me past my control panel. These viruses know AVG and can even get past their latest updates. Also go to Microsoft and look into the MATS( Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Service), Believe it or not it can help.

**** not a problem for me, so no worries there. I think I cought it from videoweed.com. I went there to watch a movie and about 10 minutes in, I was attacked. Thanks again for the advice, I hope I can get it figured out tonight.

Jeremy

Redfastback, sounds exactly like what I have.

As I stated, look into what I said to do. I also could not go into System restore, could not look into my msconfig, nor would it allow me past my control panel. These viruses know AVG and can even get past their latest updates. Also go to Microsoft and look into the MATS( Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Service), Believe it or not it can help.

It gets passed AVG because its not a virus. Its malware. Thats why Malwarebytes works. Its also good to have AVG as well.

-
Back